Sunday, May 8, 2011

Terry Ann


Every year for Mother's day I write some sappy and sentimental tribute to my mother. Most years, I think she doesn't read it.

Probably because that's not the person that she is.

My mother; while not being an unloving person, is certainly never one for sappy displays of emotion.

Therefore, this year, I am going to give her the kind of tribute that she can appreciate.

A strange one.

Here are the TEN random THINGS about Terry Ann Hinsdale!

10. She is the oldest of 9. I think she's spent most of her life as a mother, in some respect. Her youngest sister was only 4 when my brother was born. I have recently realized that we aren't so much my mother's four children, as much as her 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th siblings:)

9. She says the smell of baby powder reminds her of her mom. The scent of 'intrique' perfume reminds me of her. I hope my kids remember me smelling like 'sweet cinnamon pumpkin'.

8. Getting to see her as a grandmother has been a revelation for me. I am the youngest and we were all born so close together that we grew up together. I never saw my mom with a baby until Jack-Jack was born. She's crazy about those babies:)

7. She doesn't like to talk about or plan for food. In her ideal world, no one would eat.

6. She's the reason I started reading. Well, it was a combination of her taking away our TV and then leaving VC Andrews novels in the attic. I think I read "Flowers in the Attic" at the age of 9. It was traumatizing!

5. If my life, my personality, my opinions, beliefs and goals were a giant quilt, my mother would be stitched into every line and corner.

4. I just this year realized that my mom has really good taste in music.  I grew up thinking it was my dad; with his Led Zellpin and Mozart and blues and rock. My mom introduced me to Elvis, and Cher, and all the best oldies. She has different taste than my dad, but just as good.

3. I don't remember ever seeing her cry. I don't know how she created me. I think I cry; on average, a few times a week. I especially like crying at work, where it makes everyone uncomfortable. I use the social awkwardness to my advantage:)

2. I don't see her in myself or my siblings. But I see so much of her in my sisters kids.

1. Like she always said to me growing up, my mom is brilliant. I've never met anyone half as charismatic.  In another lifetime she most likely was a dictator or a puppet master politician's wife:)

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, TERRY!

Lori Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment