Friday, February 26, 2016

You see her when you fall asleep


So....

The Spinster Chronicles has been on sabbatical the last few weeks due to a near death experience. 

Really. Near Death. 

On Feb. 7th, at 3 am I went into the ER with a sharp pain in my right side. 

It turned out that 1/3rd of my colon was dead. 

The surgeon told my parents that he wasn't sure I would make it. 

HOLY HANNAH. 

I might not make it?????

Luckily, I did and I spent the next week in the ICU in a painful and crazy recovery. 

I was released on Valentines Day and happily went home. 

Only to return 2 days later with an even sharper pain.

It was post surgical pneumonia with inflammation around my lungs.
 (The inflammation caused the WORST PAIN I HAVE EVER FELT) 

I spent another LONG week in the hospital, 

I am home again but receive 3 home health care visits a week to help with my wound vac
 (they had to cut me open to do an emergency colon resection and then wound can't just be sewed up)

I don't know when I can go back to work. 

I am staying with my parents. 

I LOST 20 LBS IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!

I plan to add a lot more detail in the next few posts- about my family, the experience, the staff- I don't want to forget the details that made this such a life changing experience. 

But I wanted to start with what happened. 

And to say that it did change me. 

It reminded me that I need to LIVE my life. 

Because, as cliched as it sounds, you never know how long you have. 


Lori Ann

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lori! I'm glad you're home now and I wish you a quick recovery. I hope you're doing OK. This sounds like such a frightening experience, it's good to see you're on the other side of it now. Do the doctors know why this happened? This is so scary. Wishing you good health and happiness from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah! THanks for your thoughts! The pathology came back as 'inconclusive'. They have NO idea. So, so strange. And EVERYONE I talk to is shocked I made it out alive. My Primary care doctor (whom I saw yesterday) was shaking her head and saying "My gosh, you were a sick, sick girl". It all seems surreal to me. Like it happened to someone else. I wonder if everyone feels that way??

      Delete