Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Occupy Chuck E. Cheese!!

I try to avoid the news whenever possible. It interferes with the celebrity gossip and reality show watching regime I’m committed to.

However, one cannot escape discussion of the “Occupy Wall street” protests and it’s made me think about things that I’ve always wanted to protest but didn’t have either A. the nerve B. any knowledge or C. the ability to rise above my natural inclination towards apathy.

Anyway- here it is…

Top Five Things/Places/Ideas I would totally Occupy.

5. It’s been about 13 years, but I am still protesting Burger King’s
“new” fries. I mean, come on..What is with the batter coating? It’s gross. And I really resent having to go to BK for my burger and McD’s for my fries. That’s too much to ask of the American people.

4. Indian Summers. Come on, summer…isn’t it enough that you have been sucking the life out of all of us since about mid-April with your scorching heat, endless barbecues, and lame block buster movie releases? Now you’re going to extend into the few weeks we get of fall? Not cool, summer. Not cool. Literally.

3. Showers. No, not the kind where you get clean (I’m only mildly opposed to those), but rather the “baby/wedding/house warming/ etc, etc” variety. I protest the exclusiveness of these events. What if you are, for example, single, childless, and living a tragic hand to mouth existence in a dingy apartment? Don’t you deserve monogrammed hand towels from Sears?? Don’t you?? Answer me!!

2. Tipping. We need to take our cue from Europe on this one. I’ve been an American for 32 glorious years and I still don’t get exactly how tipping works. Do you tip if you pick up your own pizza? What about the mail man? What’s the rate? 15 %? Is that for every restaurant or just fancy ones? If you pay 100 bucks for furniture delivery, doesn’t that mean you don’t have to tip?? Ahhhh!!!! Tipping, you evil troll. What do you torment me like this??

  1. Target weekend shoppers. This group of people embodies the death knell of culture, the American dream, and even human decency as a whole. I went to Target last weekend and the things I saw…well, I won’t say because I know many of you gather around this blog with your children at night and I don’t want to scare them. Just know this..You’re not safe. Not even in the pet food slash broom and mop aisle.

So…there you have it. The groups, things, and ideas I (in my head) spend my days railing against. A complete list would be about 200 items long, but these are the truly the most enraging.

Peace out, girls scouts!!

Lori Ann

3 comments:

  1. # 3. I totally agree. My single friends and I have joked for years about how unfair it is that we do not get showers. I have decided that if I am unmarried by the time I am about 35, I am going to throw myself a "It's not looking like Laura is going to get married or have babies anytime soon, so please buy her a bunch of stuff to make her feel better about herself and her shortcomings in life" shower. Do you think that will catch on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!!!! I will take a stand with you on each and every one of these issues! Since we are Americans living in Europe it is funny how sometimes waiters expect us to tip. When we were once in Germany we had this AWFUL waiter who was so rude to us. After we paid he just stood there expectantly waiting for us to tip him. It was so awkward and Andrew gave him a 10 euro bill and started to explain that he wanted change, but the waiter just left! I hate showers too- especially in the Mormon culture where it is now becoming the norm to throw showers for someone who is having their 5th girl.

    And the Occupy Wall Street thing? I've read up about it, and still don't know what the point is! There were protesters in front of Andrew's work a few weeks ago, but since this is Switzerland they were very calm and writing on the ground with sidewalk chalk. Those rebels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FOR ONE LIKE THE NEW BK FRIES. THE OLD ONES SUCK. I LIKE THE NEW WENDIES FRIES TOO.

    ReplyDelete