Saturday, April 8, 2017

When nothing but the stars appear

The suspense is over....I give you

The Wedding Day
 Part 2 (of 3)

4:20 PM until 7:30 PM

4:20 PM
I arrive at the barn where we are getting married. I wonder where I should store my purse and chug a 5 hour energy. (Classy til the end)

4:21 PM
My sister Erin appears and informs me that I will NOT be going into the barn until I walk down the aisle. Meanwhile, my mom and brother have wandered off and I am seething with rage as I see Rich taking fun pictures with his groomsmen and family.

4:22-4:25
Erin tightens my corset backed dress, all the while ranting about me about how I don't need to breath. People are pulling into the makeshift lawn/parking area and I am waving at them from behind my mom's car. I get my nieces to take some jump shots with me.

Somewhere around 4:30
Everyone is in the barn and I am standing outside with my nieces and dad. My dad is ranting at me about something...probably saying "Stop worrying about your dress! Are you here to get married or be a princess?"
 
The instrumental version of hallelujiah begins to play. I hop over the door entrance with my dad and then proceed to almost kick up the aisle runner. I feel like my dad's grip tighten like it used to when we wandered too far in the Qmart.
 
My dad walks me down the aisle.
 
Rich looks like a deer in headlights.
 
We have the shortest ceremony on record. All I really remember is being happy to see my sisters waiting for me at the front and trying to keep Rich calm.
 
We didn't do a rehearsal, so he is facing one way and I am kind of facing another.
 
Which makes all of our ceremony pictures look like we are two strangers standing at a bus stop together.
 
We say "I do".
 
I then remember yelling at everyone to hurry outside with us to take some selfies before the sun went down.
 
4:45-5:30
 This whole time is a blur of picture taking (I didn't have an official photographer- just friends who brought their cameras and selfies) and talking to everyone and my feeling like I didn't want anyone to feel left out.

Me and my friend Janelle

My family (and likely a lot of people from the branch) were switching the inside of the barn from a wedding setup to the reception.
 
I remember feeling very manic and running around all over.
 
5:30-7:30
 The reception. It was COLD inside the barn. I should have planned better for that. All I could see as I looked around were things I was worried were not good enough. The forgotten ink guest book thing, the long line for food, the lack of pictures of me and my sisters, the people who looked out of place, the family I hadn't seen in a while who I really should go talk to- I honestly didn't slow down and enjoy my reception. I wish I had.
 
I didn't eat anything or even get a sip of the apple cider I had wanted to have there so desperately.
 
I wanted to make sure everyone was ok.
 
There were a few magical moments.
 
Erin gave an amazing toast for me.
 
My sisters got even by making me dance to Butterfly kisses with my dad.
 
I twirled Rich to our song.
 
I got to introduce Rich to my grandmother (who would die exactly one month later)
 
I got to use the phrase "My husband" for the first time.
 
By 7:30 everyone was freezing and heading out the door. But the after party invites had just gone out...
 
Stayed tuned for 7:30 to 10!
 
Lori Ann
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment