Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The world in solemn stillness lay To hear the angels sing


Ok,

I LOVE Christmas music.

 Well, most Christmas music.

 Before I get into that, I should begin at the beginning..

My parents are music people.

Not band geek, Broadway musical type music people, but more eclectic love of and appreciation for all kinds of music people.

 My dad tends toward classic rock, classical, and alternative.

 My mom is more of an oldies fan.

I grew up listening to Elvis, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, Peter Gabriel, Cher, The Beatles, Beethoven, Pink Floyd, and a million others.

Despite this, I have a mostly surface relationship with music.

Whatever is popular at the moment is what I like.

I think it's a source of some shame for my father.

It's different at Christmas. I don't know if it is the nostalgia that accompanies the holiday season, but Christmas is when I feel the musical influence of my parents the most.

Having said that, I will now compile my list of MUST LISTEN TO Christmas favorites, as well as my PUKE, WHY IS THIS CONSIDERED Christmas music list.

MUST LISTEN TO:

Carol of the Bells- MoTab

Oh Holy Night- MoTab (or Celine Dion)

Anything and EVERYTHING by Manheim Steamroller

Anything and EVERYTHING by Transiberian Orchestra

It came upon a midnight clear- MoTab

I'll be Home for Christmas- Bing Crosby

All I want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey (you know you love it!)


PUKE, WHY IS THIS CONSIDERED Christmas music list:

That shoes for momma to wear to Jesus song

That one about the guy who meets up with his ex at the grocery store

Santa is coming to town- Bruce Springsteen (sorry, Dad!)

Santa Baby- Madonna

Wonderful Christmastime- Paul McCartney

What's on your Christmas playlist??

Lori Ann

1 comment:

  1. My Transiberian Orchestra CD has been going pretty much constantly since Friday. And I love the version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlan. And John & Yoko singing "War is Over". And the bunch-of-famous-singers-including-Bono singing "Do They Know it's Christmas". Okay, I'll stop now. Maybe I should just do my own post about Christmas music.

    I'm with you on the Christmas shoes song (it was cute the first time, but it just makes me gag now. But I have to admit I like the grocery store one. More because I like Dan Fogelberg than because I think the song is any kind of Christmassy, though.

    ReplyDelete