Sunday, March 20, 2016

And all we used to be

So... I have thought of so many other significant moments.

Like the time I locked myself in an outhouse for 6 hours...

 and the time I broke my leg at 3:30 in the morning in Idaho.....

and the day I pledged to get a taser....so many magical memories :) 

I loved fall pictures even as a child :) 
But seriously...I wanted to add a few more bonus memories that were really significant to me but didn't make the cut! 

Let's do this dance!

1. When I was 24 I was back in college in Idaho and working two jobs. I was taking about a billion credits and trying not to kill my narcoleptic, boy crazy roommate. I had an interview with my bishop to get my temple recommend renewed (I need a Mormon culture decoder on this blog). I raced from work to the interview, which was fine but just before I was about to leave, the Bishop told me that I needed to be wearing my church clothes next time I came in for an interview. I was so embarrassed. I wasn't in dirty clothes but I had the jeans and tee shirt I wore to my caregiver job on and hadn't had time or even thought to change. Something about what he said and the way he said it really struck me. I remember walking around my complex later that day and standing by a tree, pulling leaves off and watching them fall to the ground (I was so dramatic, I swear) In that moment I realized I would never fit in with my religious culture and I would likely never marry. I made a decision in that moment to be ok with it. 

Me and maybe that crazy roommate with our favorite resident June! :) 
2. I was 16 and I was babysitting one night and I had put the kids to bed and finished eating almost an entire tray of tator tots and like 3 hot dogs by myself. I was so disgusted by how much I had eaten that I made myself throw up. Which was a significant moment for me because it was something I did on and off at varying levels of intensity for the next 15 years or so. There were periods of my life when I threw up several times a day. Other times I would go months without thinking about it. I have never talked about it before this moment. 

I made many strange choices in high school :) 
3. I fell in love.I don't really talk too much about it because it wasn't a fairy tale and nothing ever came of it. But it taught me so much. I finally understood love songs and poems and I will always be glad I had the experience. It's helped me as a therapist and a person. 
Men in uniform are so hot. Just a reminder.
Ok.... these are three odd moments.... they were just stuck in my mind and I wanted to record them for my posterity! 

p.s.- Sugar and I are thinking about getting a kitten! Stay tuned!

Lori Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment