Saturday, March 5, 2016

And so she breaks down

My grandmother Ann with my mom (I think)

So, yesterday I decided to do some family history while I was trapped in the house "recovering"

  I use parenthesis because my recovery consist mainly of bossing my brother around and weird baking projects...it's emotionally healing, if not physically. 

Ugh, recovery. 

ANYWAY (sorry for the repeat, instagram peeps). as I was staggering around in familysearch.org and I accidentally stumbled on my grandmother's mom.

My great grand mom, Ann Smith Roberts. 

No one has heard a single word from her since 1940 when she left her 6 children and her husband and never came home. 

That was 76 years ago.

I had always thought that she went to Ireland, her parent's homeland. 

Some rumors said that she married a rich doctor. 

But I found out that she married an Italian bartender and handy man in 1946
(let me pause for a moment to show her a little empathy...an Italian bartender??? holy hannah!)

Anything, she left and went on to live her life in Massachusetts until her death in 1998. 

 Ann is my middle name, it's my mom's middle name, and my grandmom's first.

 Her legacy impacts all of us, not just in her name, but in how her decision to leave affected her kids, and their kids, and then her grandkids (me and my cousins), and now their children.

The slamming of the door as she walked away from her children has reverberated in a very real way through the next 3 generations.

It makes me feel a little sick that she lived in the same state where her children were shuffled around in foster care.

And she did nothing to contact them. To help them. Not one word before or after her death. 

It makes me so sad for my grandmother. Everyone needs a mom, no matter your age. 

My mom  pulled me through the last few weeks and when I tried to brush her off or make her take a break, she would just say "I can't, I'm a mom". 

I wonder how she lived such a long life and never knew what happened to her babies?

My grandmother raised 9 kids in like 10 different states (and JAPAN!) with a military husband who was frequently gone.

My grandmother is one of the strongest woman I have ever met. Probably because she never had any other choice but to be strong. The oldest daughter in a band of orphaned siblings. A mom to her little sisters, I am sure and then her nine kids. 

I am glad that God is the ultimate judge because I would be like  (to my great grand mom) "Yeah, no...didnt make it"  Then I would cackle in evil delight. 

ANYWAY...

We might be taking a trip up to Essex Massachusetts in the near future to see what else we can find! 

If you haven't ever done family history, its FASCINATING- like watching all the puzzle pieces that you make you who are you fall into place! 

This might seem melodramatic but I see hints of myself in the faces and life stories of my ancestors. It  always reminds me that I am part of something much bigger than just me and Sugar living in our crazy barn apartment. 

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm so tired but when I start crafting, I can't stop. Hopefully we all get to sleep in tomorrow! :) 

Lori Ann 

Daughter of Terry Ann Wilson Hinsdale

Granddaughter of Ann Roberts Wilson

Great Granddaughter of Ann Smith Roberts Michielutti 

(and Mother to Sugar December, of course) 

No comments:

Post a Comment