Saturday, February 6, 2010

That's the night the lights went out in North Carolina


Ok,


As you see from my last post, last weekend we had a giant snow storm..at least a foot of snow.

 Which is insane here in the South.

 I have client's parents who have lived here all of their lives and they keep telling me that they have never seen a winter like this.

It must be me, bringing the cold weather with me from the North:)

Anyway, after it snowed last weekend the kids were out of school for 4 of the 5 days of the school week.

For all of you from snow covered areas, feeling a sense of rage at your elementary schools..I am with you.

I lived in Michigan for two years and we WALKED to school in 2 feet of snow.

 I don't think the word 'snow day' means anything there.

It would be like speaking a foreign language to them:)

ANYWAY, I have veered completely off course..

We got MORE snow and ice here, starting Thursday night.

 My agency closed for the day Friday..I was like "yawn, a snowed in long weekend of the same old treats, re-reading harry potter, and watching super bowl commercials".

That's when it happened.

The lights went out.

I did two things immediately: lit all of the tea lights I bought at the last candle party I attended (why do I only buy tea lights???)

Then I called my dad.

Who lives 500 miles away.

And can't help me.

I can't explain it.

I HAVE to call him when there is an emergency, when I get lost, or when I want to talk about how to barbecue or get his forecast for the midterm elections.

He is like the wise trash heap from fragile rock.

 That man knows everything!!

And even if he doesn't, just hearing him makes me feel reassured.

I got the answer I was expecting.."When do you think my lights will come on, Dad?"

 "I don't know, Lori..it could be 2 hours or 2 days or 2 weeks"

 It still made me feel better.

So, I got out the ice cream, set out my tea lights, and cracked open the first page of 'the half blood prince"...and the lights came back on.

It was kind of anti-climatic.

I had prepared myself to endure some sort of 'back to nature', cold cheese sandwich weekend.

 Having heat and TV would be nice, but just about as boring and quiet as last weekend.

Oh man, was I in for a surprise....

Lori Ann

1 comment:

  1. I loved Fraggle Rock. I currently have a trash heap to the side of my house, but it never talks. But if it does, I will listen.

    The trash heap has spoken. Nyaaaa!

    ReplyDelete