Tuesday, April 27, 2010

you changed my life and all my goals


I don't know how I ended up in the field that I am in.

Most days I feel like I just kind of fell into it.

Today was one of those days. I didn't feel like I had the skills needed to do my job.

One of my clients, one who I really love, found out that her aunt, the last family member she had contact with, was giving up custody of her.

Her mom didn't want her. Her dad didn't want her. And now this aunt.

She was sitting in my office crying.

I didn't know what to say.

I wanted to call my dad and have him say to her "hang in there, kid", like he still does sometimes for me.

I wanted to tell her that she was better off without them.

I wanted to give her a hug and promise her that I could make all of her problems disappear.

How is a 15 year old supposed to deal with the pain of knowing that no one in her family wants to take care of her?

What can I say to make her feel better about something like that?


Lori Ann

2 comments:

  1. What a heartbreaking job you have. You are an angel to do what you do. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad! I'm glad she has someone like you to turn to. And, you picked the right line of work. You are amazing Lori.

    ReplyDelete