Saturday, November 14, 2009

I lived in Heaven a long time ago, it is true


I get into a lot of strange conversations.

 Maybe because I work in mental health.

However the strangest conversations I have are always with my nieces and nephews.

Tonight, Jack and Danielle were out on date night, and the kids and I were watching Robin Hood (not the Kevin Costner version) when James abruptly asks me:

"Where did I come from?"

Oh boy..I wasn't expecting this one for another 5 or 6 years!

So, I took a deep breath and in my mind rehearsed..

 " Well, it all began when your mom and dad decided to play Russian roulette with their birth control methods."

 From there I was going to hit all the main points..sex, growth of the embryo, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters, labor and delivery.

After an internal debate, I went with "You came from Heaven!"
which is pretty much the same as the whole sex, 3 trimesters, 'don't get gonorrhea' discussion I was going to have, just the condensed version.

Lori Ann

p.s.- Tonight James also announced that when he was older he wanted to marry Elly.

To which Elly responded that she wasn't available because she wanted to marry an elephant.

 I tried to explain some of the legal impediments to both of their choices, but they were really back into Robin hood by that point. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey, who knows, maybe by the time they are old enough both of those choices would be legal! ;)

    I would've loved to hear their parents reaction to the more detailed conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Ellie wants to marry her daddy. Awkward. I'd rather have the elephant for a son-in-law than my own husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be hard having to deal with a rival in your own home, Allison! If I were you, I would put threatening notes in her lunch box.."You better stay away from my man, or I will eat your for breakfast!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above comment CRACKS ME UP! So last night my sister-in-law hosted a lecture by an LDS Sex Therapist (She is a friend of her sister's in Chicago). Anyway, it was so interesting! I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I think every LDS woman should here a lecture like this! She talked a lot about how to give your children "the sex talk" and at what age. She said that you should do it between ages 8-10 and that you need to be frank with your children. Anyway, I could go on and on, but I thought it was all pretty fascinating!

    ReplyDelete