Monday, February 25, 2013

On the outskirts of New Orleans

If I met my clients in the park and was comfortable hugging them- this would be me. I'm the one in the orange hat. They're in the weird multi colored hat.
This job is making me feel like a compassion whore.

I literally have one person in my office, crying, and talking about their problems and then; on the hour, I kick them out and bring in the next one.

And I make a conscious effort to make every person feel like they are my only client.

Like I don't want them to think I might be "cheating" with other clients.

I will wait until they leave the building before I call the next client's name, even if I see them sitting out in the waiting room.

But I am cheating on my clients. With many, many other clients.

Oh yes.

I have over 100 clients.

There are days when I can't remember whose problems are whose and then a client comes in and says

"Well I finally did what you asked."

I am frantically trying to remember "what did I tell them?"

But I will smile and say "Oh wow, I can't believe it. Tell me everything".

I'm pretending to remember..almost pretending to care. (But I do care..it's just..)

Pretending. Just like a legit whore.

As a way to deal with these uncomfortable feelings I got myself some office decor from IKEA. It was completely the right choice.

I think it's healing for both myself and the clients to see quirky knickknacks placed next to weird European lamps. 

If any brothels read (and you know they must) think about taking my advice and sprucing up those sad little houses of ill repute with some weird stuff from ikea. Take that place from whorehouse to euro trash utopia.

That is all.

Lori Ann

* Readers beware- I've given up sugar and caffeine again and I'm sure it is reflected in my posts!*

2 comments:

  1. I think if I needed a therapist (and some days I'm sure that I do), I'd want one just like you. People who take themselves too seriously can't help other people deal with life. They just can't.

    ReplyDelete