Sunday, February 3, 2013

Yea I'm out that Brooklyn

Not all of our NYC stories have pictures.

Thinking ahead to my eventual political career, that's probably a good thing.

 Anyway..here are a few of our New York stories.
(Beware: this post is extremely and self indulgently long and detailed)

Danielle and kids in front of the bottom half of the Freedom Tower.
The first thing we did when we got to NYC was tour the WTC memorial.

 It was beautiful and sad. 

The kind of sad that leaves you feeling a little numb.

 I think that every American should see it at least once.

Then we were off for for some steaming cups of hot chocolate at a fancy, two level, wait to be seated Burger King in uptown Manhattan.

 This was the location of the infamous Hot Chocolate Debacle.
In summary, by the time we left, tears had been shed, hot chocolate had been spilled, and Jack-Jack was left with one glove. 
(a la Michael Jackson).

 On a strange side note, I also kept hearing the employees saying "there's a troll by the bathroom".
Perhaps "troll" is NYC code for hot British guy having a minor disagreement with his girlfriend. 

Because that's what I encountered by the bathroom.
Anyway.. 
The next thing that happened was the Staten Island Ferry. 

Which brings us to Katy's shocking announcement.

 As several hundred of us crowded together to board the Ferry, Katy made the shouted announcement that Danielle was not her "real mom" but was babysitting her until her real mom
 (someone named "Chelly") 

came for her. 

As I frantically scanned the crowd to see who might be dialing 911,  Danielle  stated in a loud voice 
"Well, it's been four and a half years, and she hasn't come yet". 

 Completely epic!! 


After that Lifetime Television "Someone stole my baby" moment we had about ten minutes of peering at NYC through the salt encrusted windows of a lower deck, before we ventured up to the top "hurricane" deck.

Aren't they so cute? 
Elly and Jack ran right out the door but James was scared and stood in the doorway for at least a full minute.

 I think I will always remember the sight of him there, trying to overcome his fear.

 He finally got the nerve and stepped out onto the deck. 

He loved it so much that I just know one day he'll be a pirate.
 (Not today's weird, kidnapping, drug running pirates. But the romantic, ladies man, swashbuckling pirates of old. James is going to bring that back, I am sure of it.)


 Hot dogs and diet coke on the floor of the ferry terminal on Staten Island. 

Our NYC picnic.  

 Oh, I think this picture speaks for itself.

 As does the fact that I have at least 20 just like it.

 Ellie owned the pole.

 It's kind a weight off my mind that we probably won't have to start a college fund for her.

 I think she'll find a way to pay for medical school. 
(This blog is really walking the line of bad, bad taste right now)


 The dinosaur floor of The Museum of Natural History. 

On the first floor (the Earth and Space floor) we were lured into this little theater with the idea that we would be learning about black holes.

 But instead we watched strange, geeky scientists talk about polarization, inflation, and something called "the cosmic microwave background". 

I kept waiting for the black hole tie in, but it never came.

 Sadly, this would not be the only time NYC stabbed me in the back that day
 (I'm talking about you, 2 dollar laffy taffies!) 


The last story of today's post
 (because, oh yes, there are many more stories to come)

 brings us to the one and only Time Square picture we have.

 Of James and Elly with Elmo and cookie monster.

We shook them down.

 Or rather, Danielle did.

I knew they would want money, but Danielle felt that they were standing on the street corner, just for the sheer joy of taking pictures with kids.

And she didn't give them any money.

Another epic move by my crazy sister.

Anyway, I've rambled so much during this post. 

And most of the stories are those "you had to be there" type. 

But it makes me happy to know that the kids will be able to look back and remember even the little details.

My parents took us to a few cities when we were young and I have almost no memories.

 What I wouldn't give to have had a blog for my mom to write in back then.

Anyway, there will be a few more stories tomorrow and then back to my usual schedule of posts about mental health and my cat.

In lieu of a closing "see ya" or some such,  I am right now throwing you some upper East side gang signs.

Because New York gave me street cred like that.

Lori Ann

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome, fun, and memorable weekend! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I wish you were my kids' aunt.

    Also, I LOVE Danielle's hair! How come I had to see it on your blog and not hers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She needs to get her blog up and going:)

      I wish I could be the aunt of your daughters. They all sound very eclectic and awesome:)

      Delete
  2. Because I am lazy and Lori captures things better. Okay, and I am lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! That completely made my night. PLEASE bring the kids and Danielle down to DC and crash at my house! After all, you said it was only 2 1/2 hours- you have no excuse. We can tour dc, but we can also get a little crazy and head to Baltimore. Start planning ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are totally going to come visit! I vote for cherry blossom time... When is that??

      Delete
  4. Just saw this! The cherry blossoms are sooooo magical and my favorite time to be in DC. The festival dates are March 20 – April 14. You need to come!

    ReplyDelete