Monday, May 27, 2013

We take increased devotion

It's Memorial Day.

And I am in my office before 7 am.

I don't have to work today but something about having the day off inspires me to come in and get work done. Which is; of course, the opposite of how I feel on days when I am actually at work.

I have a lot of random life updates. But I will fill you in another day.

 Because it's Memorial Day. One of the most important days of the year.

As I have gotten older I have come to appreciate Memorial Day more. Maybe because I am increasingly aware of how rare a thing true freedom really is or because I'm old enough to be the mother of a lot of the soldiers that gave their lives for this country.

I couldn't imagine having my son sent home to me in a pine box. How do you live through something like that? That kind of sacrifice is; for me, unfathomable.

But it does remind me, as Memorial Day always does, that being an American is more than just a privilege but a responsibility.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Lori Ann




Ps- this is a picture of my grandpa Hinsdale( far left)and two of his brothers. All WW2 vets. (and very handsome... I can't believe how young they look!)

No comments:

Post a Comment