Thursday, October 9, 2014

And I owe it all to you


Back to the travel posts!!

Today's post is dedicated to my 4th companion- Sister Lorena Hendricks.

Whom I also still call Hendricks.

I remember the day I met Hendricks.

It was in the MTC (missionary training center) and she was randomly sitting in front of me and Winsor.

She went out to Chicago six weeks before us because her mission call was English speaking, though she ended up doing both.

She actually taught herself Spanish.

Esta bien inteligente!

The next time I saw Hendricks was my first day in the mission field.

I was terrified out of my mind because I had just had to go on the L train in downtown Chicago and talk to people about Jesus and the Book of Mormon.

And I had found out my trainer spoke very little english.

She was there, picking up a new companion or something and she kept singing this song (to the tune of "this is the song that never ends")

"This is the mission that never ends...it just goes on and on, my friend.."

It was something that made me laugh on a really tough day.

Hendricks made me laugh alot.

She dressed up as a turkey for me on Thanksgiving.

Like a legit turkey.

She taught me the value of lighting a Virgen de Guadalupe candle the night before transfer calls.

She showed me the importance of loving the people of Chicago- whether they were member, investigators (what we call the people we are teaching about the church) or non members with no interest in learning more.

Just like Christ, she loved all the people, regardless of their situation.

In rereading my mission journal, I would frequently complain that she was so focused on relationship building when I felt that we should be running around, teaching and baptizing.

I wish I had had more maturity and insight because I think she was brilliant.

She still keeps in touch with so many people from the mission field.

People that she took the time and effort to build relationships with.

She, like Tyler, changed my life.

Y la extrano un poco cada dia.

Hinsdale

No comments:

Post a Comment