Wednesday, October 8, 2014

How I know you

 I have decided to break my Utah trip down into several posts. 

Because the only thing better than one tedious travel post is MULTIPLE tedious travel posts!!

I stayed with my sister Erin and her devil cats (who I love!) and they deserve and will get their whole own post. 

But since my first night there was the mission reunion, I thought I'd start there.



I saw 3 of my 7 companions. 

My favorite 3 actually. 

All of whom will get... you guessed it....their very own post. 

And of all of my favorites, Tyler is my most favorite. 

Here we were- 21 years old, living in a small town in Illinois. 

Teaching people about God. 

Here we are- 13 years later.

 She (damn her!) has not aged at all. 

Despite 10 plus years of marriage and 3 (ADORABLE) sons. 

I was the one who was supposed to still look 21, with my child free, man free lifestyle. 

Anyway, 

I love Tyler. 

(Whose real name is Shannon  Brewer but I can't call her that)

She changed my life. 

On the mission she was focused, fearless, and driven. 

I was the opposite. 

I was busily counting down the days until the end, endlessly fearful, and looking to avoid missionary work at every available opportunity. 

She taught me how to be brave. 

When people would half slam their doors in our faces
(Hispanic people are too nice to REALLY slam their doors)

, instead of feeling dejected and wanting to go home, she would pull out this little notebook she had and write down the new words she had heard and wanted to learn. 

"Sister Hinsdale, I think they just called us evil ducks...I'm not sure though, we can look it up!" 

She made me laugh, threw me a pirate themed birthday party, recreated the Dirty Dancing finale scene with our other companion, taught me how to add body to my hair, had the BEST sister speaking at Conference voice EVER, and supported me in all my crazy service project ideas. 

My new goal is to convince her to move out East. 

Thanks, Tyler for coming all the way out to Lindon.

 And for making me laugh.

 And meeting up with me for odd barbecue salad lunches. 

But most importantly, thank you for being who you are and thank you for changing my life. 

Even though years have passed and the mission (at times) seems almost like another life time, I still feel the same as I did then. 

Que somos hermanas.

Hinsdale

4 comments:

  1. We have this in common!! She has changed my life also. And I know what you mean about the sister in Conference voice. Its almost creepy how perfect it it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your check is in the mail! :) I heart you, Melissa!

      Delete
  2. Oh Lori! You are too much! You are making me sound like a much better person than I really am. Don't forget that whenI saw you this weekend, I confessed to you how completely unmotivated I am and how thoroughly content I would be if I had a full time job watching Netflix. Also, I still feel so bad about that horrible salad that the crazy lady at Zupas bullied you into ordering. I should have insisted that you order something else.

    You are officially invited to speak at my funeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not change the barbecue salad for anything! How many people can say they've had a salad with barbecue sauce in it??? And you have never given yourself enough credit for being the incredibly cool, legit inspirational person you are. I will keep telling you until you believe it!!

      Delete