Monday, August 1, 2011

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

A few songs; when I listen to them, give me the chills. For some inexplicable reason, I have a strong visceral reaction to them.

I am listening to "The Sound of Silence" right now, which is one of the songs.
Other songs include:
Stairway to Heaven ( Led Zepplin)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
Dreamer ( SuperTramp)
Paint it Black (the Rolling Stones)
Unfaithful (Rhianna)
and
Every single song by Simon and Garfunkel.

I know I've said this is in the past, but I feel like my dad's love of music manifests itself in me in odd ways. I don't have a sense of rhythm, I can't play any instruments, and I'm fairly happy to stick with my Top 40 bubble gum pop.

But every once in a while; when I hear certain songs, it's like I can feel the music all the way down to my toes.

The only thing I can compare it to is the feeling I had when I saw Ireland, Belguim, and France (where my ancestors come from) and I felt a connection, almost as if a part of me had been waiting to come home to these places all my life.

When I hear these songs it's like I've always known them.

Weird, eh?

Don't let me blog past 10 pm. I start to get incoherent:)

Lori Ann

1 comment:

  1. Did I ever tell you about the time that me and my brother were in primary. We were about 5 and 7 years old. The teacher asked the class where we could find the words of the prophets. Both me and my brother raised our hands and said, "I know! I Know! The words of the prophets are written on subway walls! In tenement halls! Echoing the sounds of silence!" After our teacher mentioned that to our parents, my dad decided that he had maybe been exposing us to a bit too much Simon and Garfunkel.

    ReplyDelete