Saturday, July 30, 2011

Let's Get Political


Don't you love when people share their political views on their blog?

Don't they always make you shake your head and say "huh..I never thought about it that way" and change the way you think/vote/live??

Yeah. Not so much.

And yet; in spite of the aforementioned futility of sharing politics on your blog, I still feel like (with the debt crisis and all) it's just about the perfect time for me to share some of my more adventurous political views.

Brace yourselves!!

1. Civil Unions. I believe in them. For everyone. And I literally mean everyone. I don't think a civil union should be based only on a sexual relationship. I think marriages should be between one man and one woman, but I think any two people (brother and sister, friends, partners, etc) should be able to get a civil union and get on each other's insurance, etc.

2. I support term limits. No more than 2 terms for senators and representatives.

3. I support drug testing for all welfare recipients. Only because I have worked with so many and too many were utilizing their government funds/resources for drugs. There is never enough oversight of welfare benefits and oh my gosh the suffering I have witnessed. It's always the children who suffer the most.

4. I support comprehensive and free health care for anyone under the age of 18. All children should be covered for whatever they need; regardless of income.

There is so much more. But I'll leave you to grapple with these four. I know I've rocked a lot of your worlds and you might need some time to go and change your voter registration cards and all that.

You're welcome. ")

Next up for discussion: Religion!

Lori Ann

3 comments:

  1. I have a question concerning welfare. If a person tests posi7ive (my le77er af7er s is broke, using 7 7o replace i7. sorry) do 7hey lose all benefi7s? 7he kids 7oo? Or are 7he children immedia7ely removed from 7he home? IDK if agree wi7h his because in my life, alcohol seems jus7 as, if no7 more destructive 7han o7her drugs ... is a drunk mom and be77er 7han a s7oned one? And is a rich, drunk, s7oned mom ok as long as she doesn'7 need s7a7e help?

    Working wi7h kids and families is making me very judgmen7al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point. For me, the drug testing is more about the illegality of it. Drunk moms are usually just as bad or even worse than stoned ones. However, alcohol isn't illegal, so it would be a tougher case to make. I don't think the kids should be taken away. The welfare benefits would either taken away or modified. Like instead of food stamps, they would be given food vouchers- like WIC. I think my views are more complicated than I could even write in this comment.

    My overall problems is that too many people utilize their children to gain access to services and resources, which they then abuse, to their child's detriment.

    Maybe it would be like Satan's plan or a communist nation, but there needs to be more accountability and consequence for these people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading many of your posts in a row...I cannot comment on each one, but....I CAN let you know that I am chuckling over here...at each one!

    ReplyDelete