Friday, May 11, 2012

Mothers Day Post # 3- The Irish Twin


My sister Erin.
(aka the Bumble bee)

I've written many blog tributes to her.

 I've talked about her being my Irish twin, making me laugh, being a good listener. 

There's probably not a lot of things that I haven't already said. 

So, rather than a long tribute I will instead just share (one of) my favorite memories.

When I was about 8
 (making Erin 9 and Danielle 10) 

my mom used to send us to the store; at night, to get her sherbet.

 It was always sherbet.

And always at night.

 Not sure what the obsession was. 

But anyway, it was probably close to 3/4 mile to the store and it was through some woods, down a hill, behind the post office, a dimly lit bank parking lot and through the store's creepy, usually empty parking lot.

It was the 80's then, so maybe my mom felt like we would be safe.

But we didn't feel that way.

 Not  after hours of watching Unsolved Mysteries.
 (Which, now that I think about it, my mother made us watch...Note to self: Address this in therapy)

Each and every time we had to go
(and it was at least weekly)

 we thought that for sure, this time,

we were going to die

So, the three of us had a plan.
(Well, they had a plan and they outvoted me)

 In case of kidnapping and/or attempted murder.

 They run for help and leave me, since I was the slowest.

They'd be back with help within the next hour or two:)

So, I quickly began to associate sherbet with death.
(Note to self: Address this in therapy)

And every time we ran to the store, I was slower than them.

 I always fell behind.

Where the kidnappers could get me

But' despite being easily scared herself, every time Erin would stop for me.

She'd say "Come on, Lor" and wait for me to catch up.

Even if it was in the middle of the scary dark parking lot. 

She waited for me.

She didn't forget me.



And now, 20 some years later, it's still the same.

Thanks, Eri.
 (and yes, I will read this to you, holding your hand) :)

Lor
(aka The rabbit)

No comments:

Post a Comment