Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers Day Post # 5 (one day late)

(My mom with all 8 of her siblings. She is the one in the back right, behind the two boys- wasn't she so pretty?)

Dun, dun, dun...the last of the mothers day posts! 

I couldn't write it yesterday because I was spending the day with my mother.

Dang life gets in the way of my blogging all to often.

This final post is for the most influential woman in my life. 

Terry Ann (Wilson) Hinsdale

My favorite memory of my mom changes with every year.

 I have so many. 

My newest favorite memory of my mom is of her telling me that I am the frosting in her life. 

I don't know why but it makes me so happy to hear that. 

When I was on my mission and I was stuck out in the predominantly Hispanic suburbs of Chicago with some crazy companion I would sing the song "lead kindly light" in my head and think of being home with my mom.

 Her baking bread and drinking diet coke.

Telling me to never trust a man.

Playing Elvis or Duane Eddy on the stereo.

Yelling at my dad to stop feeding the cats so much.

Bringing me room temperature ginger ale when I told her that I was feeling sick.

 Telling me that if whatever life plan I had at the moment didn't work out that she would love to have me come home. 

My Dad was the soul of our house and my childhood.

 He played music so loud the floors shook, taught me to value an education, to appreciate good steak and dry humor.

He shaped how I see the world.

My mom was the heart of our house and my childhood.

 She baked and she worried about us and she taught me how to survive.

 I have never once doubted her love for me

 She makes me feel special when all the world is telling me that I'm not.

Whatever confidence, charisma, and determination I have, I got from her.

 She shaped how I feel about the world. 

Thanks, Mom.

 For everything.

 You are the frosting in my life. 

Love,

your baby,

Lori Ann

p.s.- It took Erin less than 12 hours to win Sugar's allegiance. 12 hours, people. 

3 comments:

  1. see lori, i do read your blog; go out and stir up the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! THis is beautiful! you sure do have a way with words.
    Although I remember you singing, "Gypsies Tramps and Thieves." all the time on the mission, does that mean that I was NOT one of your crazy companions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that you were the craziest! Unlike Badger and I who were BFFs! (I did not have a detailed plan to murder her..not at all, nope)

    ReplyDelete