Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blah, blah, blah


I start my new job tomorrow. It's with the same agency, just in a different department.

I am sure that I have mentioned it before, but I am working on getting my LCSW.

 
Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

 
To get this, you have to have a Masters Degree in Social Work and then two years of supervised experience and then the state exam.

If I pass the exam, I will be an LCSW this October.

This means that I can open my own practice, if I want. (as a therapist)

I don't have that kind of enterprising spirit though:)

Anyway, the reason I mention all of this is because I hope that this new job will teach me alot. I will be doing group, individual, and family counseling.

The group therapy that I will be doing will be what are called "process groups". Kind of like AA, where you say your name and everyone says "hi" and the topic is very much directed by the group members.

I've never really done this sort of group before. Everything I have done has been "psycho-educational"...like groups ABOUT something: self esteem, education, etc.
 
I am not at all nervous. Which is strange for me.

I think that talking to and engaging with people is the one area of my life in which I am completely confident in my abilities.

I can't talk about confidence without thinking of this quote "Your over confidence is your weakness"..."Your faith in your friends is yours!" (Return of the Jedi, baby!)

Wish me luck tomorrow!!

Lori Ann

5 comments:

  1. If only I could have a little hut in the marsh and make food in a wooden pot over a fire. I would stir it with a ladel... Anyway, good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you are awesome at your job so you probably don't need it, but, GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm excited for you- and I know you will rock it! If you ever start your own practice I will come decorate for you! How much fun would that be????
    I saw your grabndmom yesterday at the Cape May Branch. She looks so much smaller than I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is shrinking, Jessica! Just like my mom..they get shorter and crazier every year! Thanks for always being so supportive..and yes, you would HAVE TO decorate my office. I seriously LOVE what you have done to your house, so sign me up!

    Mindi, I a probably the opposite of awesome. I stuff the kids full of candy and tell them that life sucks..then I use the rest of the therapy time to talk about my mother:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori you will be amazing! You've given us lots of encouraging advice. The clients you see will love you!

    ReplyDelete