Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers Day, old man!

the old man calling my mother to report on me!
I wrote my mom four mothers day posts. I have been thinking and thinking what to say for
 
  Fathers Day.

I read a book called "The Shack" recently. It is the story of a man who encounters God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit one weekend. In the book, God is portrayed as a woman. The man asks God why; in all the scripture and history, she is portrayed as a man.The woman portraying God says that it was done because He (God) knew that there would be no shortness of mothers and mothering, but the world would always be short of fathers.

So many of the kids I work with have never met their father. About 1/3 of them don't know their fathers name. 

A lot of times, my clients will say to me "You dont know what I'm feeling or going through" and I reply with "Well, I've never been abandoned by my mom, but I know what its like to feel rejected or alone, or whatever".

However, I cannot relate to their experience with fathers.

I am lucky enough to have a father who cares about me.

Every memory of my childhood is narrated by his voice, every song I hear reminds me of him. I spent 6 years in school and 3000 hours in clinical practice towards becoming a licensed therapist and yet, the majority of the counsel I give my clients, all of group therapy sessions I run, are based on lectures my father gave me or our discussions about life.

My dad makes the best oatmeal you have ever eaten. There is nothing he can't fix. He isn't scared of anyone or anything. I've never seen him back down. I've never seen him cry. My father has some of the best insight into people I have ever seen. If I ever got lost, he could find me. My dad has the funniest laugh, and nothing makes him laugh more than the jokes HE tells. 

To me, he will always be larger than life. 

So, to my dad, I want to say: thanks for watching 3 hours of Harry Potter with me on Fathers Day..I didn't want to make you do it..felt I owed it to you:) 

Love,

YOUR FAVORITE DAUGHTER!! 

1 comment: