Friday, January 20, 2012

56

I can't explain it, but this is my favorite picture of my mom.

My mom's birthday was three days ago. So, this blog tribute is a little late. In years past I have done lists of interesting facts about my mom or things like that. This year I wanted to do something different. So, here it goes..

Thank you, Mom for...

All the times you worked late nights and long hours to provide for us.

The matching dresses you made me, Erin, and Danielle. 

Teaching me that I can do anything I set my mind to.

Letting us bake with you when we were little, even when we messed up the recipes so badly that dad wouldn't even eat the cookies.

Always telling me the story of how, when I was born, you said "I've got three girls!" and the doctor said he had three girls too. I love to hear that story. 

The time you and Dad bought me the fall wreath and pumpkin spice candle. It made my new apartment feel like home. 

All the times you took us to the ER to ask a nurse if we were ok.

Being one of the smartest people I have ever met. 

Being the world's greatest grand mom. Those are the four greatest kids and I am so happy that they'll have wonderful memories of their childhood with you.

Always letting me live with you if I needed to. And not making me feel like I was a burden or a problem.

Teaching me to love the music of the Elvis, Cher, Lulu, and every single band from the 50's. 

Sending me flowers when I passed my LCSW exam. And that one time on my mission. And when I was an intern at Hedwig House. 

That one time when our car broke down at the doctors office in New Jersey. Do you remember? We spent like 2 hours fixing it ourselves in the dark??? I think about that night whenever I have to do something I'm not sure I can do. It helps me to be strong. .

I look forward to the years ahead and all the craziness. Shopping in Paris for Elly's prom gown. Watching Snapped marathons. Plotting Dad's demise. Trying to get Thomas to lose weight. Your luck of the Irish training. More under cooked turkeys. Bailing Katy out of juvenile detention. Hours of quality criqut time. 

Thanks for everything, Mom. Enjoy the rest of your birthday week! 

Love,

your baby

Lori Ann


5 comments:

  1. I legitimately got teary eyed when I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I love your mom!! You guys have such an amazing, funny, original family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have you know I am adding "receive a birthday blog tribute from Lori" to my life ambitions book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your mother so. She is just fantastic-which is why she has got four spectacular kids! Your a great story Teller. I miss your stories: so glad I've got your blog now!!

    ReplyDelete