Monday, April 15, 2013

I closed my eyes and I slipped away


I try to avoid blogging about serious issues. Or controversial issues.

One, because I am conflict avoidant.

and B because it usually gets me a call from my older sisters.

"Lor...should you really blog about that time you killed a porcupine and how you don't even really feel guilty?"

But I am not going to let either of those two things stop me today.

Did you hear about the Boston Marathon?

I know that they aren't sure who did it yet or if it is terrorism related but just the fact that it happened makes me sad and angry.

I feel like our country has been going in the wrong direction for a while now. And while I strongly believe that government is neither the cause of nor the solution to all of our ills, I feel that everything has stayed the same or has gotten worse under Obama.

People still can't find jobs. I don't feel any safer. My pay has stayed the same for 5 years. My nieces and nephews education isn't improving. Gas prices are still high. I pay more in taxes. More of my clients are on welfare. Energy and food cost more. Health care is going to cost me more and be less available starting next year. I feel like people are less willing to listen to each other and more rapid in their defense of their ideological perspective. Even the press is less vigilant and open.

More than all of that I just see an increasing amount of hopelessness in the people I know and the people I work with.

People who have always been good with their money and been responsible are having to foreclose. People who have played by the rules and paid their dues are not getting ahead- or even staying afloat really.

Maybe I am overgeneralizing or just looking for a reason to vent and using the tragedy of the marathon bombing as an excuse. Which I really shouldn't do.

Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if he hadn't promised "hope and change".

Part of me; the not-so-secretly hidden liberal part of me that drove me into social work, wanted to believe that. Was excited for that.

This may seem unfair and ignorant, but its just how I am feeling today.

Lori Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment