Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Beware: Somewhat rambling political post

I know you all love it when I post about politics.

Listening to other people's political views is usually about as interesting for me as listening to their vacation stories. Or their pet stories. Or frankly, any story.

I hate listening. (which is kinda tricky with my career choices and all...)

Anyway, my point is, even though I know it's obnoxious, I am going to post anyway.

I was thinking the other day about how inevitable it all feels.

How; as conservatives or libertarian's or whatever, we can put up a fight for a while, but that the increasingly progressive trends will eventually just drag us all under, like the tide.

Gay marriage will soon be nationalized.

Premarital sex will continue to increase and (has already) become the norm and with it more single mothers and non traditional families. I don't think anyone can argue that the role and presence of fathers hasn't been slowly diminishing over the last several decades.

Pro-death umm...I mean, anti- life..no, I mean pro choice activists will continue to rail against "the war on women" until abortion is legal up through the third trimester and readily available in every state and county.

And on and on and on....

I was thinking about all of this and feeling overwhelmed when it occurred to me... 

This is how Satan works.

He doesn't come into a society and paint the town red with sin and vice and all manner of hedonism.

He takes Godly principles and slowly...so slowly you can't even feel it, he twists them.

The principles of freedom, equality, free will, self determination, and love, even.

All things that originate from God. His gifts to us.

That's why people so passionately believe in the things that will; in my opinion, lead to the end of our society. Because there is some truth to them. Some remnant of sacredness.

There is something beautiful about the idea of any two people; regardless of race, gender, religion- finding love and happiness together. It feels good to think about supporting their right to be together and to be recognized.

In the argument for abortion, you get that message of self determination. Something about free will and not being held back by one mistake, one bad choice. Taking your own destiny in your hands. It feels powerful.

Single motherhood has a kind of nobility to it. And there is something liberating in the idea of finding love and pleasure and joy with someone, even if you aren't legally tied to them and then enjoying it will it lasts until you both grow out of it. Then you move on to someone new. No need to be with the person you thought you'd love forever at 19. What do any of us know at 19 anyway?

Satan knows that we are all looking for truth. All looking to find our way back to God. He knows that Godly principles will resonate with us as we are His sons and daughters.

People never give Satan credit for how smart he is. How he managed to convince 1/3rd of the Heavenly hosts to follow him. There are times; when I am swayed by these liberal ideas, that I wonder how I wasn't one. The idea of saving everyone, not losing a single person, bringing everyone home- it's very appealing to me.

All of the liberal ideals are appealing to me. But I've come to realize that Satan isn't the voice that  jumps up and says"Have a hit of that heroin, Lori. It's time to get high! Then we can go and rob someone".

Satan is the voice of the friend that is rubbing your back and whispering " You are about to graduate college. You can't raise a baby. It wouldn't be good for you or the baby". The voice that says "I'll go with you to the abortion clinic and you'll be ok".

Satan is the voice that says " You don't need a man in your life. What kind of father is he going to be anyway? You can do it on your own. I'll help you. You can be the mom and the dad".

Satan is the voice that whispers " Your parents are just hateful bigots who won't accept the beautiful person that you are and what you need to be happy. I love you and I'm proud that you are gay".

These words couldn't sound less like the cackling voices of devils. They sound like the voices of love and understanding. Isn't that what God offers us? Love and understanding?

Except, they're not.

Because they are taking sacred principles and applying them to wickedness. It's wicked when you hurt someone else. And abortion hurts someone else.(and you. My gosh, how it hurts you) And raising your kids alone hurts you and them.(I can't tell you how badly this hurts the kids). And being gay (and this is the hardest one for me to say) hurts someone else. It hurts you because it limits your eternal potential.

Satan is persuasive. He's got a comforting and reasonable sounding argument for any moral hangup or "old fashioned" argument against any of these issues. That is how he has convinced so many brilliant people and how he continues to find new converts every day.

Just like in Lehi's dream, the path to God is not easy. (I should know, I've over here in the mists of darkness somewhere!). But the great and spacious building is easy to get to. It's open and welcoming- a sort of "come  as you are" establishment. It's got great music and an open bar. You can sit and chat with your friends for hours in a big, comfy char while you get a nice buzz and have a few too many pigs in a blanket.

When you look out the window and see the wretched souls, dragging themselves along the rod towards the tree, you kind of feel bad for them. You wonder if they know how nice and warm it is where you are. How everything feels good and soft and comfortable. It's kind of sad for them, actually, right?

Wow.

This is the longest post I've ever written. I think the 2014 mid terms are revving up my bipolar already:)

Anyway, I'm not trying to change any minds or make a big statement with this post. I'm just trying to figure things out for myself and not be afraid to say what I think.

If you've made it this far, thanks for listening.

Lori Ann

4 comments:

  1. Lori, you are brave to share your insights. I know as you typed it, you could probably hear voices disparaging your "ignorance" and inability to accept change, etc.

    I also think that in addition to trying to figure things out, you are deeply concerned by the problems you see again and again as a social worker. You care about people, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know me so well. I've often avoided posting my thoughts on a lot of stuff for fear of offending others. I am making a conscience effort to speak up, even if it's controversial.

      Delete
  2. Yay for being honest even when it is really hard. I love reading your honest thoughts. I hope you'll continue to share them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I agree with you, life can get pretty tricky and confusing and we are told that good will become bad and bad will become good.

    ReplyDelete