Monday, July 15, 2013

Self proclaimed Irish/French American

I know every one's been waiting; most likely breathlessly, for my thoughts on the Zimmerman verdict.

Alas, you shall have to continue to wait.

This trial has made me realize that I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about how we treat each other and what we expect from each other as Americans. 

I think the part of me that is hardest for me to describe without sounding...well...evil, is the part of me that struggles with people who think other people owe them something.

Whether it's a racial thing, an ethnic thing, a poverty thing, a disability thing.

I honestly feel like no one adult person owes another (non related) adult person anything. (and I get that this doesn't sound Christian. That's a whole other topic I won't veer off into) 

I think we all owe children safety, good health, opportunity, education, and as much happiness as we can help them achieve.

And I think the government; or at least our laws, owe everyone equal treatment. That is not to say that all outcomes will be equal, but all treatment should be fair, colorblind, and as unbiased as biased people can make it.

I usually don't talk about stuff like this because I have this deeply ingrained idea (probably from going to public school in Jersey) that I'm not allowed to talk about this. That I don't and could never understand what other people go through and how they feel.  That I have it easy so my thoughts and feelings don't count. That I shouldn't share them anyway because they are most likely inherently biased, prejudiced, and self serving.

I wouldn't want anyone to not feel ok sharing their thoughts and feelings. Even if they were directly opposite of mine. If we are ever going to move forward as a country, there shouldn't be a list of things that we can't talk about.

I think we all too often try and fit our world into a movie narrative (helped along by the media.) There are the good guys and the bad guys. There is right and there is wrong.

And anyone that suggests otherwise is naive to reality. 

Well, I suggest otherwise.

I didn't see one hero and one villain in the Zimmerman/ Martin case. Nor did I see one martyr and one devil. I didn't see one thug and one heroic almost cop. Nor did I see one skittle popping little boy and one vigilante.

Ironically, it's not as simple as black and white. Or rather, black and 'white hispanic'.

This concludes the Spinster Chronicles Thoughts on Life, Politics, and famous trials until Jan. 2014 (when the mid terms start!)

Lori Ann





No comments:

Post a Comment