Tuesday, February 7, 2012

To Elizabeth Mae, on the occasion of your 6th birthday.

My very first niece is six today. 

The baby girl we all prayed for after two rough and tumble boys.

Elly is all of my dreams wrapped into one explosive package. 

She hula hoops like nobody's business.

She dances ballet in the front yard on cold, cloudless February days.

She rides her little pink scooter like she doesn't know what fear is.

She talks about wuggle pets and little Pepa pigs all the while planning world domination.

She wears her blue sparkly shoes everywhere. 

Elly is always in motion. The dreams must race through her head at night because I can't imagine even sleep daring to slow her down.

She inspires me to be a better aunt and a better person.

Elly, I can't remember my life before you. I can't remember our family before you. There is no 'us' without you.  

I love how magical you make my life and I hope you know how truly amazing you are. You (and your three crazy cohorts) are the very best part of me. 

Love,

Aunt Lorey

p.s.- I stole these song lyrics from Tim McGraw. These birthday tributes have sunk to a new low:)

Gotta hold on easy as I let you go
Gonna tell you how much I love you
Though you think you already know
I remember I thought you looked like an angel wrapped in pink so soft and warm
You've had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born

You're beautiful baby from the outside in
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again
Go on, take on this whole world
But to me you know you'll always be, my little Elly












1 comment: