Thursday, February 9, 2012

La Vida Loca

You guys, I have like 80 clients now.

I am seeing between 6-8 people a day.

This is my dream job. This is what I've worked years for.

But, oh my gosh, 8 hours of listening to people's problems and struggles and trauma...

It's too much sometimes. 

In any given day I might work with a kid with ADHD, a woman who survived sexual assault, another woman going through a divorce, someone with AIDS, a teen with low self esteem, and so many more things.

And half of my sessions are in Spanish. 

I want to cry with them. Sometimes I want to shake them and tell them that they're standing in the way of their own progress. They tell me about their abusive childhoods, their years of depression, the decisions that they regret. They tell me about their sexual problems, their anger towards their mothers, and say I am the first person who has ever listened. 

But sometimes I just want to fall asleep and forget that this is my job. I want to never hear any one's problems again. 

I guess until someone pays me to craft, take naps, and give my opinion, I'll have to stick with this therapist gig. If being sometimes overwhelmed by my job is my greatest problem, I guess I'm a lucky girl. 

Lori Ann

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow, that is a ton of clients!! You must be exhausted. I can't imagine being that emotionally invested in so many people. You're my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats on all the clients. I'm so sorry that they have so much baggage to weed through. It really makes you count your blessings though, being raised in a loving safe environment. Making the right choices is hard enough when you were taught to do so...but when you were not taught,, sad. If only you could tell them to let go, forgive, move on, and step into a new realm of choices-and share the gospel with them! Oh well, there is always prayer.
    PS have a give away at my blog today. It's an e book I think you would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a ton of clients! You are amazing! I imagine it must be emotionally exhausting to deal with, but I love how you can later joke about it. You have the best attitude for your job and they are lucky to have you!
    So, your quest for vegetarianism has inspired me. No, I'm not turning into a vegetarian, but I have set the goal to not yell (at my kids) for a week. I'm trying to keep my cool, even when I am frustrated and screaming on the inside. I'm two days into it, and so far, so good. Of course I gave myself some incentive by saying that if I make the goal, I get a reward. I just have to figure out what that reward will be...ideas?

    ReplyDelete