Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We never talk of our lack in relationships


Today's topic

Facebook status updates.

I am coming to despise facebook.

I hate the mixture of completely fake status updates - from the fake perfection
"Making cookies with my little angels..its so magical"

to the self righteous "
Happy Vegetarians Day! I'm making tofu..and to all those little cows and chickens being slaughtered right now..I'm crying for you..we're going to change this world so we can all live in peace!"

 to the emo song lyrics
" When I was young, I knew everything, she a punk who never took advice, now I'm guilt stricken, sobbing with my head on the floor"

 to the cries for attention
 "I feel so alone..why doesn't anyone love me?" .

But of all these types of status updates,

I hate the self righteous the most.
Today, when I got home from work, I wanted to post this status update:

"Come on, single mothers (not all single mothers..just most of my client's mothers)..stop having kids with a loser dead beat dad. Or multiple loser dads.You can't cope as a single parent and your kids need a father figure..they are going buck wild and I have to deal with them all day at work"

According to unspoken facebook rules- this would not be an acceptable status update.
However, it was perfectly acceptable for one of my friends to write this status update:

"Nobody shop at Target! They hate gays!"

Why was one acceptable and one not?

Because everyone knows that corporations victimize homosexuals and they need to be called to task about it!!

If you don't agree with that, it's because you are ignorant and hateful.

However, it cannot be true that some women have children for the sole purpose of either trying to keep a man in a relationship or trying to get more assistance from the government and then dump said child off on their overly tired mothers, who, out of sheer exhaustion, let that child run wild.

Only an ignorant and hateful person would think that.

The sad reality is that I get to choose all of my friends on facebook. So, if someone is bothering me, I can always hide them or even defriend them..

But what would I complain about then?

Lori Ann

Post Edit
*I feel uncomfortable even having written this post, it is so ingrained in me that I shouldn't ever say anything that might be mildly offensive and I should always be super apologetic*

5 comments:

  1. I am thinking of changing my facebook status to Bill Cosby for President.
    Have you seen that email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have! Of course, it is just a joke, but I do agree with some of it. It's not even the actual political views that bother me, its that some are ok to facebook about and some are not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Facebook...and yet I love it. The funny thing about status updates is that they say SO much about you. Anyone who posts about how wonderful their life is all the time is either delusional or trying really hard to convince the rest of us that their life is fantastic- no one buys it. I love the ones who post everything about their personal lives- especially when it is involving a relationship and the other person comments!!! The best was when my cousin posted "Just received the worst news ever, I don't think I am going to eat again". Then his wife commented on his update, "Thanks for taking the news so well, it really made it easier for me". You couldn't make that stuff up!!!! (It turns out she was cheating on him.)
    My friend who was living in Taiwan at the time wrote this article about Facebook- I think you will enjoy it!
    http://www.examiner.com/living-abroad-in-national/what-face-do-you-show-to-the-world-on-facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facebook statuses make me crazy. The worst, for me, are the ones that cry for attention. Like, "so sad right now" or "why did this have to happen to me?" The really vague ones that wind up with 30 comments from people who are all saying, "Oh, no, sweetie, what happened?" If you want to guarantee that I won't comment, post something like that. I can't take it.

    But I think I get what you mean. I also think that some people just don't think before the post on facebook. I'm fairly liberal, politically, but most of my friends are conservative. So I get a lot of updates where people have posted stuff that is actually somewhat offensive to me, but it's clear they didn't think about the fact that not everyone has the same point of view as them. I try to just stay away from anything even remotely controversial. I don't always succeed (you never know what's going to offend someone), but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get what you mean, Allison. I think that I still have this (rather immature) perception that, if someone posts something that I find smug and offensive, by not commenting on it, I am providing my tacit agreement to it. I think I also just get frustrated because I make such a concentrated effort to be fair and non offensive and look at each individual situation..it bothers me when anyone, left or right, smacks a label on someone, some group, or some organization.

    ReplyDelete