Monday, September 23, 2013

Back on the street

Substitute "walking" for running- apparently there aren't any inspirational walking quotes out there :)


I walked 5 miles this morning.

From 6:33 am to 8:14 am.

My legs now feel like lead and my skin (4 hours later) still has a slight chill to it.

Not to say that I have it all figured out- which I completely do not- but this morning was hard and tiring and made me feel like I could do anything in the world.

I used to wonder how people lost weight and got in shape.

 I pictured montages of them, at the gym, running up museum steps, drinking raw eggs...ummm, that's actually the plot from Rocky.

Never mind.

But you get the idea.

 People just got swept away and suddenly it was easy and awesome to be healthy.

I would start trying to do it. 

But the lack of immediate results and lack of "eye of the tiger" playing in the background always stopped me.

 Usually after a few days at most.

But a walk like today made me feel like I can do it. 

Getting healthy is not a 2 minute movie montage but a long series of days where you leave your comfortable, warm house and go out and do something hard.

 And tiring.

 And repetitive.

 And tedious.

As I walked 8 laps around the track today, I had moments of feeling inspired- mainly when my Christina Aquilera man hating music came on- but most of the laps consisted of me, silently pushing myself "one more step, one more step, one more step".

I wanted to quit after 2 laps.

 Then after 4.

 Then after 5 when my ipod said it's battery was getting low.

 Then after 6 when my back really hurt. 

Then after 7 when I thought "Oh my gosh, this is far enough, isn't it?"

Only the thought of walking in the door and yelling "Five mile Monday!" to my cat kept me going.

And I made it.

Happy Five Mile Monday to you all!!

Lori Ann

1 comment:

  1. Five mile Monday! I love it. Well done.
    I'm going to do two mile Tuesday. Maybe three....

    ReplyDelete