Tuesday, April 17, 2012

You were right for me


Most of my clients (like 99%) suffer from depression and anxiety.

 Sometimes it's their primary diagnosis, other times it's just part of a greater mental health issue.

A visual imagery technique I use to help cope with the depression/anxiety  is

 "Moments of perfect happiness".

Which is as simple as it sounds.

I ask them to describe one or two moments of their lives which were moments of perfect happiness.

This helps those who are unable to see the positive in their past or future. 

As I was doing this with several clients today I started thinking about what are the moments of perfect happiness in my life.

 Here's some that came to my mind.

1. Seeing my mom enter the front door of the mission home to pick me up from the mission.

 A minute later we were both laughing and it thrilled me to hear the elders say "Now we know where Hermana Hinsdale gets her laugh"

2. This one night when my sisters and I stayed overnight in a fancy hotel in Greensboro.

 We get to the GC ( Golden Corral) and Erin went up and got like 8 different desserts and kept saying

 "What's wrong? Haven't you seen fat people eat before?"

I couldn't stop laughing. 


3. I was sleeping in the living room at my sisters house, sometime around Thanksgiving.

 At 5 am I could hear someone get up. It was Elly (at age 5).

She was holding little Christmas ornaments in her hand and she kept mumbling to herself  "We've got to decorate, decorate".

 It was the first time I realized that she really was a little like me.


4. Every single time I step out of my parents house I feel like the sky looks stunningly beautiful.

 And it makes me Pennsylvania happy.


I have a few others.

But lists longer than 4 always lose my interest:) 

Lori Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment