Sunday, April 29, 2012

She talks to angels


To my dear niece

Katherine Danielle

 on the first day of your (likely to be) 4th tempestuous year of life.

I have been your aunt for 4 years now.

Well, 4 years and about 8 1/2 hours.

And when I am old and gray, it shall be your childhood that I remember most.

 I was lucky enough to be there for most of it. 

I remember everything.

 From the day your mom hid you as a newborn on top of the armor so that you could sleep peacefully in a house full of wild little ones.

 All the way through today, when you wouldn't go to the park with me because you wanted to spend time with your "mum-ba".

And every adventurous day in between.

If Jack is the passion, James the humor, Elly the magic

 then you are the love, Katy.

You love your family so much.

 You remember everyone.

You take care of everyone. 

You are beautiful inside and out. 

You are the precious moments girl, the animal lover, the mama's little helper, and the beautiful blue eyed baby we never knew we needed so much.

You are our only Spring baby and while it may (ok, it definitely does) sound cheesy,

I've always felt that Spring was the perfect season for you to be born.

You are the bearer of warmth and sunshine in our family.

And yes, while we might fight about everything from Porto pots to cookie baking, there hasn't been a day that has gone by in the last 4 years and now almost 9 hours that I haven't thanked God for you.

For our Katherine Danielle Monroe. 

I love you so much and I look forward to another year of bubble baths, experimental baking, screaming for no apparent reason, secret club sleepovers, rapid outfit changing, silly dancing, and pure Katy craziness.

Love always.

Aunt Lori

2 comments: