Sunday, June 9, 2013

But it's over now

Today's topic:

My ever evolving definition of 
romance.

Ironically, for someone who is a spinster, romance has always been a big part of my life.

I've been reading romance novels since the age of 9. I've always loved romantic movies and I am obsessed with shows like "My Fair Wedding" and "Say Yes to the Dress". I watch surprise proposals on youtube and adore the stories of Wallis Simpson and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. 

I figured that it was pretty much a given that one day a man would either abdicate his throne for me or could at least become the subject of a lot of stream of consciousness poetry I would one day be famous for. 

 However, my definition and ideas about romance have undergone a transformation recently.

Here's why:

1. I've stopped reading trashy novels. Well, I kind of went from straight to gay romance novels. But then I realized that they are all boring. So, I'm off all romance novels now and I feel like I'm coming out of a little bit of a fog. I've slowly begun to realize that I am not going to be proposed to by a Greek billionaire or marry a rugged, brooding cowboy. And that I really probably wouldn't want to if I got a chance. (unless either of them was willing to live in the PA countryside and/or they have really great health benefits)

2. I am a  marriage counselor. Nothing will change your perception of happily ever after quicker than mediating couples as they scream things like "My mother tried to warn me, but did I listen? No!" and " I know you've had 3 kids but shouldn't you be kind of back in shape by now?"

So..in summary, my ideas about romance until recently were kind of like this..



And now they are more like this (how she chose Blane after this is beyond me)


Bottom line: If a man sings you Otis Redding, you hold on to him like grim death. I think we've all learned something here today.

Lori Ann

4 comments:

  1. "Blaine?! That's not a name - that's a major appliance"

    P.S. Don't give up your dreams of a Greek billionaire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!

      Actually there was this one who asked me to marry him but then he started ignoring me and when I confronted him saying " what about wedding?" He said he asked someone else and forgot.

      Right now I am making my own dress to show up at his wedding in. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope your dress if off the shoulder with a dog-like collar. Very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you crack me up. And I love those wedding shows,My Fair Wedding is the best. I even watch Bridezillas on occasion....like when Im at someone's house whom has cable. Which is probably why I don't have cable because I'd forget I was a mom and indulge myself. Yes, though dont give up on the Greel billionaire. Think of the vacations!

    ReplyDelete