Sunday, June 16, 2013

Take the long way home

It's Fathers Day, y'all.

Every day I thank God for the father that I have. He is amazing in so many ways.

And so I wanted to write him a tribute that I hoped he would like so he can know that I really do appreciate him and have learned so much from him. Here it goes...

So many things remind me of my childhood. The taste of funnel cake. The smell of burning leaves. The sight of rolling hills of trees. But every sound that reminds me of my childhood: every song, every wistful lyric, every strum of acoustic guitar, reminds me of my dad.

As I have said many times, growing up with Dave Hinsdale for a father was like being raised in a History of Music class. (with an emphasis on classic rock and classical)

And so, this fathers day, I wanted to spotlight some of the music he played (so loud the floors would shake) and how both that music and he taught me so much.

Circle Game by Joni Mitchell.


Joni Mitchell albums were the kind my dad played on repeat track all night. Either Joni or Mary Black or some other folk artist. Joni taught me that life is short and appreciate the days as they fly by. By playing her music and painstakingly explaining the lyrics to my 11 year old self, my dad taught me to appreciate true artistry and to not be afraid to be myself and do what makes me happy.

Dreamer by Supertramp


Supertramp music was the true soundtrack to my childhood. And not just the classic ones that everyone knows. ALL of the songs. My dad would put on their songs (Breakfast in American and Dreamer being my favorites) and play along on the air guitar. Supertramp taught me that you can actually feel music in your whole body and that the world was bigger than my little borough of Dublin, PA. By playing their music my dad taught me to look for things outside of myself. For people and experiences that could change how I see the world.

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel


My dad played all of the Genisis, Police, Peter Gabriel solo type music. I could list probably 50 songs that have the same feeling for me as Solsbury Hill. Roxanne, Don't stand so close to me, Money for Nothing and so many more. But I love Solsbury Hill and it reminds me most of my dad because of one line. The line goes "Son, he said..grab your things, I've come to take you home". My dad creates the feeling of home for me. If you ask my sisters what home means they would probably tell you the same things as me: Dad blaring music, grilling steaks, muttering about how no one can put anything back where they got it, making you eat until you feel sick, slipping you money if he thinks you need it (with a wave of his hand and "don't worry about it" if you try and thank him). He's such a deep down good person and this song always reminds me of that.

Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits

They played this song when my European tour bus drove by Verona, Italy. It brought tears to my eyes and I wished my dad was there to see Europe with me. Nothing takes me back to childhood like Dire Straits. Industrial Disease, Sultans of Swing, Les Boys, Telegraph Road, Brothers in Arms. They all invoke instant nostalgia. Every song has a message and my dad would explain every one of them to me. Dire Straits taught me about love, loss, and politics in the 80's. By playing them my dad taught me to be socially aware, to care about the little things, and that if two men say they're Jesus, one of the must be wrong:) 

Of course, this is barely scratching the surface. I haven't even gotten to The Beatles, Indigo Girls, Pink Floyd, Mozart, every Jazz musician ever born, and about one million others. Don't worry, people. There is always next Fathers Day.

I know this was long. Maybe because I feel like I can never say the right thing or convey enough of how grateful I am to my dad for being the best father I could have ever asked for. 

I hope you know, Dad. 

Love,

Oreo

No comments:

Post a Comment