Thursday, March 27, 2014

And there's reason to believe


I am watching my sister's kids for a few hours this morning.

So, rather than actively engaging with them and enjoying these last few wistful years of their childhood- I have decided to zone out and update this blog!

The Michigan Years

We moved to Michigan when I was 11. 

My dad didn't want to keep his business (he was a pool plasterer) and he wanted to spend time near his family.

We moved to a town in Southeastern Michigan called Tecumseh.

 One town over from the town my dad grew up in- Adrian.

Tecumseh was a famous native American.

 Tecumseh is also the refrigeration capital of the world.

 I bet you didn't know that. 

Here are the things you need to know about Michigan. 

Michigan was like living in a different country.

They had soda I'd never heard of.

They had a very distinctive accent. 

They all could point to where they lived in Michigan by holding up their hand and saying 'I'm from..." and then pointing to some spot.

 Apparently Michigan is shaped like a hand.

 If you ever run into a Michigander
 (they call themselves that)

 ask them where in Michigan they are from.

I promise you they will do the hand thing.

There is some kind of odd rivalry between lower Michigan and the 'UP'. (upper peninsula)

 My dad still refers to UP people with scorn, calling them "upers" (pronounced you-purrs)

The winters were nuts.

 Like 10 feet of snow nuts

. School was NEVER cancelled because they were used to driving and walking in the snow. 

Speaking of walking, we walked to school.

 Most kids did. 

Tecumseh, Michigan is everything you think of when you think of an American small town.

Everyone loves high school football, there are old fashioned ice cream shops downtown, and you walk to school. 

I felt like I was living in the 1950's. 

It was a very hard time for our family though.

It took my dad a while to find a job. 

We lived in the shadiest house ever.

 I wish I had pictures. 

My mom wasn't very happy.

 She isn't super close to her family but I don't think she had ever lived that far away. 

She didn't like the Michigan way of life. 

It was a weird few years for me.

When we moved my parents decided to put me into 7th grade, instead of 6th. 

I did really well but eventually the school decided to send me back to elementary school.

So, that was an odd transition. 

We started paper routes as a family to earn extra money. 
 (the beginning of the 'normals and weirds')

The best memories that I have are:

Getting to spend time with my grandparents.

 Both have since passed away.

 My grandfather took me flying in a small plane.
(He was a pilot in WW 2)

Watching weird late night soap operas from Canada.

 There was one called "let the blood run free" and it was about a crazy hospital.

We were close enough to Canada to get some of their strange shows. 

They do bottle recycling in stores in Michigan.

 It's like 10 cents a bottle.

 So we would run around, collecting bottles and drag them all down to the convenience store for money. 

This strange drunken guy would frequently ride his bike down to our lawn and crash there, asking if we had a bathtub that he could borrow for his next kegger.

 I'm not sure why he asked us so many times.

Our elderly next door neighbors- Gene and Bea- were nudists.

You had to be careful walking by their house. 

There was some kind of purple flower that grew in the front yard.

I don't know what it's called- maybe it was lilacs.

 But it was the best smell in the whole world. 

Once, my parents were away, and we got so freaked out being in that weird house on our own that we performed some kind of weird exorcism because we thought the devil was in our bedroom.

We had the green nova.

 That car was epic. 

I fell in love with my 7th grade math teacher- Mr. McDowell. I changed the way i wrote my 8's to match him.
 (two circles instead of a figure 8). 

I started writing weird, emo poetry. 

I got to go to Disney world again with a family that I babysat for. The Wagners. 

I could go on and on.

 It was a weird, hard, interesting few years.

But it did not prepare me for the years ahead. 

The Jersey Years. 

Lori Ann

p.s.- Talking about Michigan always makes me feel so tired. I don't know why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment