Friday, March 28, 2014

There's not a thing that I would change



So, today was one of the best days of my life. 

You know how I have been talking about how obsessed I am with friendship lately? 

Because my therapist said I don't have friendship making skills? And because I've met some really

cool girls who make me want to give up my whole "yuck, friendship is too much work" ideas?

Well, they are officially my BFFs for the rest of their lives.

Today I rolled in to work. I was tired. I had woken up 30 minutes before I had to be at work. 

I threw on a slobby outfit and ran out the door without packing my lunch or even eating breakfast. (unless you count 4 skittles as breakfast)

I had an evaluation in my schedule for 9 am. A new client. 

At 9 am, my friend Michele knocks on my office door and tells me that my eval has wandered over to the lounge area and she wants me to come and get her to come to my office. 

I was ranting in the 30 second walk from my office to the lounge that I was NOT in the mood to deal with someone who is so emotionally unstable they can't wait in the waiting room for the evaluation to begin. 

I get to the lounge and there are like 20 people there. 

Cheering. 

And wearing bright yellow t-shirts that say "Team Lori". 

And there is an incredible (and healthy!) spread of breakfast items. 

And they are singing the rocky song and clapping for me. 

I; of course, start crying. 
Why can't I be a cute crier?
That moment- seeing them all lined up and cheering for me- will always be one of the best moments of my life. 

My friends Dawn and Michele arranged it all. I think Dawn was the master planner. 

She is the one that has been counting down until the Half marathon with me for the last 50 days. 

She made all the t-shirts. 

30 or more "team Lori" shirts. 

The psychiatrists were wearing them. The secretaries. The front desk person. All the therapists on my wing. My supervisor. All of client registration. 

And they wore them all day long. 

Everywhere I went, someone was wearing a "Team Lori" shirt. 

And Dr. K- my favorite psychiatrist- got me a gift bag of energy chews and made me a poster of my favorite politicians and George Clooney cheering me on. 

It's got Rand Paul half naked on it, people. 

And our CEO came down and told me that he was proud of me. And that, even though the race hadn't happened yet, it was like I had already run it. 

My supervisor said "We all love you so much".

Who does this kind of thing for people?

Who is that unbelievably wonderful?

My friends, that is who. 

My amazing, inspiring, kind, thoughtful friends. 

My favorite client of all time recently told me that he felt like God brought us together. 

I want to say the same thing to Dawn and Michele. 

I see God's love for me through the two of you. 

You get me. Sometimes my own family doesn't get me, but you do. 

You are the hands of God in my life and I will never be able to thank you enough just for being the amazing women that you are. 

Thank you for keeping me going on this long road. Thank you for listening. Thank you for making me walk and taking away the treats and remembering me every single day.

Thank you for today. For the long hours of work and coordination it must have taken. 

You are officially stuck being my friends forever. 

Trust me, it's going to be a bumpy road. Especially once I give up sugar :) 

Lori Ann

4 comments:

  1. You are worth it!!!! You are amazing and an inspiration...and you give so much of yourself to everyone in your life. I'm proud to be your friend. I'm disappointed that I can't be there on Sunday with your parents cheering you on...no matter if you finish the full 13.1 or not. But I will be here when you get home....I am blessed to be your friend. You inspire me....you make me want to be a better person. I'm so glad we could make what was a difficult day for you a happy and memorable day!! TEAM LORI......

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great group of people you have! That is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time! I will be thinking of you Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do your coworkers know you are what?! I am proud of you, Lori -even though I am the big bad villain in your life! And I agree, being family does not always mean that you get someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great, Lori. You have some pretty wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete