Tuesday, April 29, 2014

All the world to see

To my dear niece Katherine Danielle

I never know quite the right words to say to you.

I guess I'll start with- I can't believe you are six!!

I thought you'd stay our family baby forever. Tiny and gleeful and sweet.

You are growing up so quickly and there are moments when I miss the Katy Cat of years gone by.

The baby with a pumpkin hat on her almost bald head. The destructive whirlwind of a toddler. The cuddly, snuggly little girl we had always wanted. 

But as much as I love my Katy Cat memories, I love the girl you are now.

Sassy and adventurous and so smart.

You are strong and kind.

Even though you are the baby, you take care of everyone else.

You are the first to give something away. To share. To say sorry. To reach out to help.

From the minute you were born you brought so much love to our family.

Every single day you bring happiness to my life.

The best part of who I am is being your aunt.

I was thinking of you today and wishing you 100 more years of life. A life full of adventure and love and happiness. With people who are as kind to you as you are to others.

I wish for you a handsome Prince Charming and a PhD in some field related to animals.

 I wish for you a chance to see the whole world.

 I wish for you little blond daughters of your own and wonderful memories to make you smile when life gets hard.

I wish for you to always feel loved and safe and to know how incredible you are.

There is this obscure little lullaby that comes to my mind when I think of you. So, on the very first night of your sixth year, and even knowing you aren't a baby anymore, I want to end with it. And with giving you all my love.

Thank you for being you. I love you, Katy girl.

Aunt Lori
The picture from my first Katy Birthday tribute (four years ago)- PRECIOUS!!
p.s.- Let me preface this by saying that this was the only version of this lullaby I could find and it's quite creepily done. It frightens me a little. But it's the lyrics that I love :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment