Monday, May 17, 2010

Too late for second guessing


I am not a natural risk taker.

I love the whole "carpe diem" thing as an idea, but I am also a creature of habit.

It has been a few years since I've done anything out of the ordinary. I mean, these years have been the best of my life- spending time with my nieces and nephews and working on my clinical licensure. They've been productive and fun. Just not all that adventurous.

So, when I took off Friday and Monday to drive my sister Erin to Pennsylvania, we decided to do something different.

Instead of going straight home, we drove to Atlantic City. Atlantic City is the nearest beach to my parents house.

I'd decided to cross another item off my life ambition list- "See a sunrise over the Atlantic".

I saw a sunset over the pacific about 7 years ago and it has bothered me that I hadn't finished the other bookend of seeing a sunrise over the Atlantic.

It was a LONG drive. We got stuck on I-95 outside of DC and I think my sister had begun plotting my demise. It took us about 11 hours to get there.

I haven't been back to Jersey since I graduated high school 12 years ago. Literally. I left the day after graduation and haven't looked back.

I knew the moment we were back in New Jersey. I heard music I haven't heard since 98. It smelled like the ocean. There were rows of wooden beach houses, unchanged since the 40s.

Ahh...Jersey.

Part two to come tomorrow.
(Enjoy this story while its free, because its so riveting I am sure it will be published...then you'll all have to buy a copy! )

Lori Ann

3 comments:

  1. Lori Ann peanut butter....I did feel like a whirlwind weekend! Remember next vackay is sandals all inculsive! You and me living the life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love Jersey? I don't know what it about that place- the people, the culture- but it really doesn't seem to change much.There really is a vibe there that you would never be able to describe. You have to tell me though- did you like the beef wellington? That is something I've always wanted to try, but I wonder if it is a bit overrated.
    DC traffic is killer! We used to live a couple of miles away from the temple, right off of the beltway. It was terrible! I learned to just never go out during rush hour. We live further out now and it is completely different. I can actually go to the grocery store during rush hour and I don't even notice the traffic... or maybe I'm just used to it now!
    I wish I would have know you were driving by! It would have been so much fun to see you guys. We really need to get together one of these years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beef wellington was ok. I don't really have a refined palate for high end foods. It suprised me that it was wrapped in a pastry shell. I didn't know that about beef wellington. Now that Danielle and I will both be back in PA fairly soon, we should totally plan a reunion. It would HAVE TO be a sleepover. We could teepee someone's house, listen to some 90's music and make crank calls to Genna and the DeFeo girls!!

    ReplyDelete