Wednesday, May 5, 2010

You make everything alright


What I learned from my Mother

The things I learned from my mother are more than I could ever write. From the small and simple (how to tie my shoes) to the serious and life shaping ( get a marketable trade), my mother has taught me more than she will ever realize.

I sign my middle initial with my name because she always did.

I tell all the kids that I work with that they are "brilliant". (because everyone is in some way). I say this because more than any other thing she said to me, I remember my mom telling me that I was brilliant and it motivated and inspired me.

I still call her with every major accomplishment, because nothing makes me feel as happy as hearing her say "are you serious? That's great, sweetie". When I can, I call my client's parents with the positive things that they do. I want them to have their "are you serous?" moment too:)

I work with a difficult population of people, because she taught me the value in helping those who society ignores or overlooks.


I want to send all of my clients home to live with her, so that she can make a big deal about them, tell them that they are brilliant, and be there to listen to every hurt and every moment of accomplishment.

A lot of what I have in me that is good and charitable, I learned from her example.

So, thanks for everything you've taught me, Mom.
 
It's made me a better person.

I love you, Mom.

Lori Ann

2 comments: