Saturday, May 8, 2010

You make me feel like I am home again


All this week in group therapy, I have been asking the kids to share their favorite memory of their mothers.

It has gotten me to thinking about what is my favorite Mom memory of all time.. I have a million great memories, but there is one that stands out to me for some reason.

I left home the day after high school graduation.

It was a sad, crazy, happy, scary time of my life.

One day I was just a kid and in high school and literally; a day later, I was an adult and I was gone from home.

I felt very lost and alone.

Anyway, my favorite memory of my mother was at this time. I was flying out to Salt Lake City to live with my sister before college.

My parents brought me to the airport and waited with me at the gate (that was pre 9/11). It was so strange for me to realize that this was not just visiting someone for a short time.

This was it.

I was leaving home.

My flight was called and I said a tearful goodbye to my parents. As I sat on the plane, I could see my mom's bright pink shirt in the window, looking out at the plane.

My flight was delayed over an hour at the gate.

My mom stood there the entire time. I could see her pink shirt in the window the whole time until we taxied away for take off.

Something about her waiting for me to leave gave me the strength that I needed to go.

She made me strong, just like she did through all of my years of growing up.

Lori Ann
 
I love you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment