Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You don't know me

Here it is..the highly anticipated second edition of...

 Things I am not emotionally qualified to work on with my clients but I do it ANYWAY! 

In this installment, we will focus on my giving advice about stuff that I have absolutely NO experience in.

 I may or may not have said all of the following things
 (in the tone of sage and all knowing expert)

1. You should probably go to AA if you are compulsively binge drinking.

 Especially if it's black out drinking.

That's dangerous and it's happened to all of us at some point,

 but not every weekend.

2. Sure, pot has it's positives.

 It makes you feel good, relax, let go of your stresses.

 But once the high is over, all those stresses come right back, don't they?

 Plus, you've gained like 4 pounds from the munchies, so that's additional stress.


3. It doesn't really matter if I think F*&# is a bad word or an element of free expression.

 As long as you live with your mom, you are obligated to follow her rules.
(As therapists, we are supposed to be comfortable speaking to people in their own vernacular. Saying the F word makes me feel nauseated)


4. After a divorce you have to go through a grieving process.

The death of a relationship is like the death of a person in many ways.

 Divorce just tears you apart and makes you question even who you are and what your life is really about.

You feel like a failure.

5. It can be really painful to be judged or singled out because of your race.

It's a very isolating feeling.

The names, the bigotry.

Your race can be your greatest source of both pride and anxiety.


6. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world and it's thankless to a certain degree.

 All the late nights, the worry, it's exhausting.

 Which one of us hasn't stayed up all night, only to keep running all the next day?


7.  SEX

I can't tell you how often I have counseled people on their sex lives.

 Everything from erectile dysfunction to fetishes to herpes flare ups..and everything in between.

Holy Hannah..there is some WEIRD STUFF out there.

WEIRD.


So, if you need advice on how to overcome your anorexia,

 deal with the prejudice of being too pretty and not taken seriously,

or how to manage your gambling addiction- look no further!!

Lori Ann, LCSW

2 comments:

  1. Lol oh my goodness u crack me up!! I always come here for a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever need a therapist, I'm moving to Pennsylvania so I can go to you.

    ReplyDelete