Saturday, August 23, 2014

High on a mountaintop

Random Day Before the Half Marathon Updates

 I went and got my race bib and "goody bag" today.

 Do not be fooled by the term "goody bag"- it's a hodgepodge of hand sanitizer, strange coupons and other weirdness.

I did have the misfortune of realizing, once I got there, that this is quite a 'hilly' course.

 The registration lady said "Some people won't touch this because of how hilly it is".

 The race t-shirt actually says "Hill Master" on it. 

HOLY HANNAH.

This was NOT the halfie to half heartedly train for. 

(And by 'half heartedly' I mean- NOT AT ALL)

This one is going to kill me. 

My parents have already graciously offered to support me if I don't think I am up for it. 

But there is just this weird voice in my head that says "You have to do this, Lor" 

We'll see what happens. 

ANYWAY

 This the the Party Store.

 We lived just down the street from this thing when we were in Michigan and it's still there!!

 Sadly, when I lived here, liquor prices were not at the state minimum.

 Dang it. 

 My mom and my aunt Karen.

 I congratulated them on being the two women who took the infamous Hinsdale brothers off the market.

 They both stated that they would be happy to put them back on the market :) 

 Speaking of which... my dad and his brother. 

It's SO SO odd to see my dad in the role of younger brother.

 I heard people calling him "Little Davey". 

My dad. 

The man whom I see as a Darth Vador-esque, all powerful figure...being called "Little Davey"

. It was SO INTERESTING.

 (Do you see how they have the same hands? My grandpa had those hands!)

The really cool thing was that my Uncle Don said that I looked a lot like his mom.

 My grandmother. 

No one has ever said that to me before.

 A random ancestor.

 I've never heard of Eben Sparhawk but now I will have to research him. 

I like the name Eben. 

My dad and like 8 of his 11 first cousins on his dad's side. 

It was interesting, surreal, and eye opening to go to Michigan. 

I identify so strongly with Pennsylvania and always think of this as home that I forget that half of my DNA and half of my heritage comes from Michigan.

 Most of my dad's family lives there still. 

It doesn't call to me at all though. 

When I was in France, Belgium, and even just flying over Ireland, I could feel a tie.

 Like I always say it felt like I place I had been before and had only forgotten.

Michigan doesn't feel that way to me. 

I don't know why.

Anyway, wish me luck on the HILL MASTER tomorrow. 

Next update will be post marathon. 

Lori Ann

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Lori! As it happens I'm doing my first race today (a 5k)! I'm so excited! Can't wait to hear about your halfie!

    ReplyDelete