Tuesday, August 12, 2014

You just bought your expulsion papers, Nwanda


I am not normally one to jump on the social media bandwagon.

Like, when a celebrity dies, I'm not all "He was my favorite actor, I'm so sad".

But for Robin Williams I will make an exception.

Two of his movies changed the direction of my life and how I see life in general.

The first being Dead Poet's Society.

If you haven't seen, I can't recommend it enough.

Everything he says is so powerful and it makes you want to live life to the fullest.

I can't tell you how many times I've quoted this movie to my clients.

I always tell them that Robin Williams was quoting Thoreau or someone and he said

"Most men live lives of quiet desperation. Don't be resigned to that'.

I have seen that movie a hundred times.

It's what inspired me to write my first bucket list. 

And then, later, Good Will Hunting.

This movie means a lot to me as a therapist.

I've often wished (as I think every therapist does) that I could have moments like he had with Matt Damon in that movie.

Where he is telling "It's not your fault" over and over.

And Matt Damon breaks down.  

Of course, I haven't had those exact moments.

But I've seen clients have mental and emotional break throughs.

And it felt just as powerful.

And I've (honestly) tried to channel that intensity that he showed in his depiction of his character when I am talking to my clients who are going through a rough time.  

So, even though I don't think I have ever talked about Robin Williams on this blog before

He has changed my life in amazing ways. 

And he will be greatly missed.

I know he has found peace with Heavenly Father.

I know that we all go home to His arms.

It's moments like this that I feel deep sadness for those without faith.

It's such comfort in times like these.

Lori Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment