Thursday, August 28, 2014

Losing my religion


These are our sister missionaries

. The three of the far left are OUR sisters- Milford West- and the two on the right (of the girl in the gray shorts) are the other side of Milford- Milford East.

It has been insanely awesome having sisters in our branch again.

 And to have 5 is incredible.

I am so excited for my nieces to see girls serving missions. 

I have been doing missionary work for the FIRST time since my mission. 

(Well, I think I've done a random thing here or there but nothing steady)

We haven't even necessarily been that family that has the missionaries over to eat.

Which is sad.

But this group of sisters will NOT let you just rest on your laurels and do nothing. 

They want you to be excited about being Mormon and excited for missionary opportunities.

I have been teaching a Hispanic man with them on Saturday nights.
And teaching the sisters Spanish phonically.

They came to our house for dinner last night and were making me laugh.

It was one of the sister's birthdays and I had gotten her a cake from Walmart (store bought, represent!) and I was telling them how the cake decorator thought she was making decorating it for a nun and decorated it extra fancy.
(because it said "Happy Birthday, Sister B!")

It was epic.

And then...

They made the mistake of saying "Show us some stuff from your mission, Sister Hinsdale"

I told them they should never open that door with a returned missionary!

Which all brings us to a returning segment from blog posts post

THIS DAY IN MISSION HISTORY!!

Here we go, people!!


On August 28th, 2001 (holy hannah I am old) I was companions with Sister Tyler.

 This was our planner that week.

 Just know that if there is any blank spaces, we were out tracting. 
(knocking on people's doors to talk about God)

This was my mission journal entry from that day.

(Ignore my weird feet at the bottom of the page)

I was talking about how tired I was and how hard the mission was and also apparently counting down the hours until my mission was over and until my birthday. So inspiring, I know. 

I haven't ever read my mission journal.

I might make that a project this weekend.

Working with these sisters has kind of brought back my missionary spirit.

Here is to many more "THIS DAY IN MISSION HISTORY" to come!

Lori Ann
(the former Hermana Hinsdale)

p.s.- Here are some odd cat pictures for your viewing pleasure

 Hobsey (aka the ginger cat) snuck over to our house. 

I had to lock Sugar out because they were chasing each other around the entertainment center in a non friendly, let's all just get to know each other and have fun kind of way. 

Whenever I look at this picture I think "The student has become the master!"

It's Thomas. 

Sitting like a human being in the upstairs by the linen closet.

 I immediately thought of REM- "That's me in the corner."

The sisters loved Thomas. 

They kept wondering how he got so fat.

He didn't say it out loud but I think he was mildly offended.

 He hid it behind a brave show of apathy and sleeping. 

3 comments:

  1. Lori! 5 sister missionaries in milford?! how is that even possible? tell me about the missionary work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adkins! I know! It's so exciting! Sisters are running Milford! They have gotten so many people involved in the work. They are called Milford West and Milford East (one is a threesome and one is a pair) and I keep telling them they should have a rap battle in the church parking lot! (Of course, you remain the all time best sister of all time!)

      Delete
    2. Add my vote to the rap battle! That's so great that they've involved so many in the work. I also got teary eyed in your post that talked about all your mission companions.

      Delete