Sunday, August 24, 2014

Straight to the top

Here it is. 

The post you've all been waiting for. 

My second half marathon.

Aka 'the one where I almost died'

or

'the worst and hilliest course on Earth'

Let's do this thing!

 My number.

 I'd like to say that I came in 38th place.

 But I didn't.

 For this illustrious half marathon I came in LAST.

 Now I can cross that off my bucket list


 My feet wrapped up pre-marathon. Sexy, right?


 The all important pre-race meal.

 My favorite part is the chocolate milk in the star wars mug. 


 My dad took this photo. 

Then told me "Don't do anything idiotic".

 Sometimes he is so inspiring it brings tears to my eyes 


 The starting line.

 Where I felt the usual pre-race nausea and extreme regret. 


 Somewhere along the trail.

 I wish I had time to take a million pictures because it was so beautiful.

 But that last place spot isn't going to win itself- I had to stay focused. 


 I wonder how many other racers I intimidated with this kind of sexiness?? :) 


 And THIS is the result of no training.

 I could feel this by mile 3.

 NEVER NEVER NEVER do a half marathon unless you've been training ALL THE WAY up to it.

 Or your feet will look like this :) 


My two half marathon medals!! 

Two down...hopefully many more to come. 

I would do a stream of conscious breakdown of every mile but I think we've all suffered enough in the lead up to this thing. 

I will say that around mile 10 I began to feel really at one with the Earth and thought about laying next to this corn silo. 

And my mom walked the last mile with me again and I kept accusing her of lying to me because she would say "The finish line is just up there" and it WASN'T. 

 (I am a grateful and gracious daughter)

This thing was not for the faint of heart. The hills were NUTS.

But hey, life is a challenge or nothing at all, right?

Lori Ann

2 time half marathoner

5 comments:

  1. You're SO awesome! You really inspire me :)
    I'm very envious of your medals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did your 5k go?? Put up pictures on the blog!!!

      Delete
  2. Need pictures of me and my well deserved medal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about your disgusting blister this morning on the way to the gym. And I thought, you know that blister will heal and go away but the fact that she completed 13.1 miles will never go away. She has that for life!!! You are inspiring. You make me want to do better. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!! I am kind of a inspirational, star athlete:) sadly, that may be the last blister picture ever because my sister has threatened to kill me if I post anymore feet pics on Facebook:)))

      Delete