Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Ever called to serve

Let me be the first to say that I know it gets kind of boring when I get fixated on specific topics.

Who can forget the agony of my first half marathon training throughout the blog posts of January, February, and March?

Some of you may still be recovering from that trauma.

And honestly, I think this blog has gone in a kind of boring direction lately.

I used to do crafts, try new recipes, and experiment with things.

So, I am going to get back to that.

To spice up the old Spinster Chronicles.

But, while I wait to get motivated to do that-

Let's get back to our current favorite topic!!

My mission and missionary work in general.

2 of the 3 Milford West sisters...and one angry calico.
I went out with the sister missionaries again last night.

It's been so much fun.

There was this calico cat named Trixie (featured above) and she would purr and let me pet her and then turn on me!

I think all calicos are a little feisty.

This whole mission revival started when I was asked, about a month ago, to speak about sister missionary work and my mission experience.

I thought at the time that it was such an odd choice.

I have been home from my mission for (holy hannah!) 12 years and, at the time, I didn't even know the names of our branches missionaries.

But something about giving that talk made me realize AGAIN how much my mission changed my life.

It was a refiners fire like nothing I have ever experienced before or after.

It made me feel angry at myself that I wasn't doing more to support the missionaries- especially when I knew how hard it is to be far from home and overwhelmed and trying to teach people the Gospel. (Especially the awesome but unrepentant people of Southeastern PA!) 

So, the next time they called me, instead of letting it go to voicemail, I picked up.

I've been out with them on an (at least) weekly basis since then.

I've been leaving weird treats at their door and we had them over for dinner.
 (for the first time in YEARS)

I've met some incredible people that they are teaching.

And, as we were walking down the dark streets of Pennsburg last night, running from one appointment to the next (I still think the word 'cita' before appointment) I was reminded of that feeling I got from time to time on my own mission.

The feeling of literally following in the footsteps of Jesus.

There were times as a missionary when I felt like if I had looked down I would have seen His footprints in the snow walking before us.

It was really cool to feel that way again.

Even for just a minute.

Then it was nice to go home BY MYSELF (no companion to fight with!) watch TV and eat m and m's for dinner.

All the blessings of missionary work with none of the crazy!

Lori Ann

2 comments:

  1. The first meal I ever had in the mission field was at your house. I nearly wet my pants I was so scared of the whole thing (the mission not your dad's cooking).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have been more scared of his cooking!! My parents love you the most!!

    ReplyDelete