Friday, August 2, 2013

In which I rail against abortion and bad 90's soft rock...



I like this one because it looks like Elly doing her 'badger hands'

I was listening to Everlast "What's it's Like" (so 90's, I know) as I was doing discharge summaries yesterday.

Which made me think about abortion.

Oh yes, even though I promised to keep off the politics until 2014, we here at TSC made no pledges that we actually mean to keep.

So...abortion.

In the Everlast song, it talks about a girl who got pregnant by a jerk who abandoned her and she went to an abortion clinic and people were heckling her and the band says "God forbid you ever have to walk a mile in her shoes, because then you might really know what it's like to have to choose".

It kind of made me mad.

Because everyone that has a baby knows what it's like to choose.

And this made me realize that I am one of those babies that most people would have considered a hard choice.

What  I am saying is that I'm lucky to have the mom I have. I think a lot of other women would have aborted me.

When my mom got pregnant with me, she was 22 years old. She had 3 kids- David was 2 1/2 years old, Danielle was 1 1/2 years old, and Erin was less than 6 weeks old the day that my mom found out I was coming.

She had just had 3 c-sections in less than 3 years.  

The doctors were telling her it would be pretty dangerous to have any more.

My dad; a pool plasterer, was working seasonally at that time. That january morning when she told him about me, I'm pretty sure he wasn't working. (and he had an asthma attack when he found out) and; with the vantage point of age, I have come to realize that they were just two young kids, trying to keep it together. Moving alot, no significant support from family- on their own.

I don't think abortion ever entered my mom's head.

We're Mormons, after all. 

But who would have blamed her? How many women would have made a different choice...a choice dictated by health concerns, exhaustion, and near poverty? How many women would have said "I can't afford it, my health can't take it, I can't be a mom to 4 kids under 4"?  

So, Everlast, I think it's fair to say that my mom really knew what it was like to have to choose.

I am glad she chose me.

Lori Ann


1 comment: