Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saving all your food stamps and burning down the trailer park

Random Saturday Afternoon Updates
(the I'm too lazy to upload pictures edition)

This is the first time in TSC history that my title really is just song lyrics I like and has nothing at all to do with the post. Which is probably hard to believe because I get that most of my post titles seem completely pointless. But they always have meaning to me. 

Anyway...

I am going to dye my hair "brown/black" tonight. Danielle has already proclaimed it (upon seeing the box) "greasy black". Jealous, much? 

I've downloaded 4 of the books on my 100 greatest books list. And before you ask, no, I still haven't finished the last 100 pages of Moby Dick. Melville is KILLING me. 

I'm kind of tired of supporting artists that I don't agree with. Not that I don't appreciate that art is more than a person's politics or life choices but I think I'm going to start voting not just with my ballot but with my wallet as well. Sorry, Lady Gaga. I'm going to miss our nights singing "Telephone" together while I dance alone in my room.

It's weird how I'm seeing everything from my patriarchal blessing coming to pass. It talks about me finding a desire to strengthen and refine my body and my seeking out the most uplifting in music, etc. And having compassion for people and meeting them where they are. I pray for that every single day before I meet with my first client- that I can meet them where they are. 

Speaking of which, being a therapist has freed me in so many way. I used to think that I had to be a certain way. A way that would make everyone happy all the time. But I've kind of embraced that I can be who I am, even if people don't understand and like it. I've said it enough to other people that it's finally sunk in with me. Thanks, therapy. 

Danielle and my dad leave for Paris in about 4 days. I'm debating whether I will end up: A. accidentally burning down her house, B. getting one of the children injured through my negligence, or C. become a modern day Mary Poppins that will bring joy and order to my sister's children's lives. 

I know what you are all thinking...probably a combination of A and B, right? Yeah, I vote for that one too:) 

I put on my pumpkin spice lotion this morning. I promised myself I'd wait for Sept 1st, but I couldn't stand the wait. I am now declaring it OFFICIALLY FALL!!! 

Oh my gosh, it makes me so happy to say it, even if the weather doesn't quite agree yet.

Lori Ann


4 comments:

  1. How many books out of your 100 list have you read now?
    Also, I find it quite funny that you're happiest during the fall/winter, and I'm happiest during spring summer. We should swap houses from April to August, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read 15 3/4ths. Some of them were painful and some were the best books EVER! That would be really sweet to live in perpetual fall/ winter. I would be soooooo happy. The only summer day that I love is the 4th of July. When is Australian Independence Day? And what is on your bucket list??? :)

      Delete
    2. We don't have an Independence Day as we're still a monarchy. But we DO have Australia Day which commemorates the day of landing (26th Jan 1788). In fact, I rarely ever do anything particularly special on that day, but I'm putting it on my list to have the most Aussie Australian Day ever! I'm talking cork hats and BBQs! How very in patriotic I have been, taking this country for granted. Ben and I are also planning a trip to our nation's capital to visit the war memorial and a few other things. I'll keep you posted!
      On a less serious note, I've been thinking that I owe it to myself to fan girl over something. I missed Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, could not get into 50 Shades (ew) but I want to be there on the ground floor of a crazy new, slightly inappropriate book, and feel smugly superior / tiny bit embarrarreed when I hear someone talking about the latest craze. What do you think?

      Delete