Thursday, August 22, 2013

I do not want to see a world without him



Ok, I have two reviews for you today, dear readers.

Once again, our Jersey stories will have to take a back seat to whatever is capturing my attention in this moment. (and still my doctor will not give me ADHD meds...)

Anyway, last night I saw the movie version of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. The 17% rating on Rotten Tomatoes should have been my warning but I figured it was a just a few bitter reviews who didn't recognize greatness when they saw it.

No, they were right.

It was the WORST of all of the recent teen angsty type series. The main character was like Bella Swan in a black leather outfit. If she broke down crying self indulgently one more time, I was going to smack her in the face. It had the same level of we've left out all of the good stuff you really liked-ness of Harry Potter. And a lot of similar plot elements- a Voldemort, a Dumbeldore, a magical child left in the dark, a Jacob-Edward love triangle..no wait, that's when it veered back into Twilight territory again. 

Anyway, bottom line...the books are mediocre (not that I can stop reading them) but the movie is enragingly tepid. (I did see a preview for Catching Fire which looks amazing and THE BOOK THIEF! I had no idea it was going to be a movie!)

Now, on to my second review..

My newly discovered cousin; Ann, (well she's been there all along, but I did not technically meet her until last week)- is JUST LIKE ME.

You guys, I never knew that there was anyone in my mom's family JUST LIKE ME. Loves Harry Potter, is a writer, wants to live somewhere where it rains a lot. 

Anyway, she recommended to me her favorite book "The Fault in Our Stars".

I downloaded it and started reading at about 7 am this morning.

I closed my iPad at 10 am, tears streaming down my sun burnt cheeks.

I haven't cried like that since the end of Half Blood Prince.

Best book I have read since the Hunger Games.

I highly recommend it. 

Lori Ann 

No comments:

Post a Comment