Thursday, August 29, 2013

Talk and talk about you and what you need

You guys, this will be my 718 post.

 Good lord, what I am talking about on this blog that requires 718 posts?

Since this is such a momentous occasion, I should probably blog about important stuff.

Here we go...

I gave a presentation at work yesterday.

 The main feature of this presentation was chocolate-peanut butter rice krispy treats.

Made by my dad.

 YES.

It bothers me that I don't know geographically where Syria is.

I don't even know the names of most of the towns in the county I live in.

 What does that say about me?

I can't tell the political mood of the country anymore.

 There are moments when I think (and hope!) we are swinging right and then moments (umm..the VMA's) when I think we are on a one way train to left land.

I need to give up the ginger ale.

I've got Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah on repeat track in my office.

 I am writing this one minute and finishing evals the other.

I went to bed last night at 8 pm.

8 pm, people.

I wish I could have brought the kids to the 50th anniversary of the March on DC.

 Except, it seems like conservatives weren't really invited.

Not sure how Dr. King would feel about that.

Speaking of Martin Luther, one of my life goals is to tape my complaints about the LDS church to the same church doors that Martin Luther nailed his 99 Theses.

 Like "I want 2 hours, not 3" and " Bring back refreshments after baptisms".

This time next week Danielle will be in Paris.

 And I will be rummaging through her house, taking stuff that I want.

Lori Ann

4 comments:

  1. Really? You think Miley Cyrus is a result of the political left? Why? Because I voted for Obama, but no way in hell is my daughter prancing around in her underwear doing heaven knows what with a foam finger while performing an incredibly suggestive duet with an objectifying and highly offensive male singer. What on earth does any of that have to do with whether the country is swinging right or left? Is there a person on the planet, of any political persuasion, who didn't find that performance to be in incredibly poor taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison,

      I always struggle with whether or not to reply to comments of disagreement or different perspective. It feels like a lose-lose. If I reply then I come across as defensive and hostile. If I don't reply then I come across as either dismissive or that I've been shamed into silence by the other person's perspective.

      And while I have a policy to not apologize for my perspective and to stand up for myself (after not doing it for most of my life) this doesn't feel like an issue where we are going to find common ground.

      I could try to give you a long explanation on my opinion on how political ideology impacts cultural norms, etc, I don't think it will move this discussion forward.

      Delete
    2. I realize now just how hostile my comment must have come across. I'm so sorry about that. I read this post during a crazy week of back-to-school shopping and pre-camping trip packing, and it's clear that I was not in a good place when I commented. I really didn't mean to sound so confrontational, but coming back to it now I see how awful it comes across when there's no tone, expression, or body language to clarify. I really am sorry about that!

      I respect your right to decide what discussions to get into on your blog, and to post your opinions, whatever they may be. This is your space to express yourself, and my opinion doesn't matter (and now I'm afraid this sounds sarcastic, but it's the truth - on my blog, my opinion is what matters because it's *my* blog; on your blog, *your* opinion matters, plain and simple). I will admit that I am still curious about your reasoning, but most of the time I don't understand where conservatives are coming from, and I feel like conservatives don't understand where I'm coming from, so I'm totally cool with agreeing to disagree and moving on :)

      And also, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah: yes.

      Delete
  2. I was telling Ben about how Robin Thicke had "sold out" and he "used to be good". But then I remembered the album I had bought of his (A Beautiful World I think) with a naked woman on the front (his wife, I believe, and while she was naked you couldn't see any... bits), and how I had folded the cover art inside out so that I wouldn't be embarrassed if anyone were to rifle through my (amazing) music collection and see a CD with a naked woman on it. I remembered this little fact and thought... um, actually, maybe he's always been a little bit inappropriate. But that VMA show was horrendous. Cannot unsee.

    PS: Jeff Buckley forever.

    ReplyDelete