Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Its a love story?

Ok,

As any one who knows me in person knows, I love romance novels. 

I think I've mentioned it on this blog before. 

I have been reading them since the age of 9 or 10. 

Anyway, I recently got a couple of regular harlequin romances, as this was all the thrift store had. 

The rural South has the WORST thrift stores for books..'

I did see some sweet red bikes for sale, which I have been dreaming about, but I can't fit a bike in my car to take it home, dang it!

This blog is going to a stream of conscientious format, as you can tell:)

ANYWAY, can I just say that kind of romance novel hero that appealed to me between the ages of 9-20ish, I now find emotionally abusive and bizarre.

Seriously, the guy in the book I have been reading tonight
 (his name is Andre and he is a smolderingly handsome Frenchman)

 has been emotionally and verbally and ever so slightly physically abusive to the heroine and all she keeps doing is taking baths, crying, and drinking in response.

Whenever he is nice to her, she literally SIMPERS.

Yuck. 

Can I get a hallelujah? 

Lori Ann


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you are still reading these books! I remember your mom or Dad taking a big trash bag full of your books and throwing them away. I also remember you reading your novels inside of your scriptures during seminary. I do have you to thank for introducing me to the greatest love story of all time- Jane Eyre!
    The girl who moved into your office sounds CRAZY. I don't know who would have the nerve to do that!
    As for my favorite country so far (I haven't been to many mind you) I LOVED Austria! Driving through the Alps was one of the best experiences of my life. I even started to tear up a couple of times because the beauty was so overwhelming! The people there were very nice too. When we went to Germany the Germans were very rude to us! Seriously, the customer service stunk! I'm not sure if it was because we are American, but the waiters and shop owners were very cold to us. I was really annoyed one night when we were out to dinner (the kids were actually being good too) and the waiter was so short with us. Then when he would go to the next table he would laugh and joke with the family sitting there. Interesting, huh?
    And of course, I'm loving Switzerland. You have an open invitation anytime!

    ReplyDelete